This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3534 / 52°21'12"N
Longitude: -2.5865 / 2°35'11"W
OS Eastings: 360149
OS Northings: 272975
OS Grid: SO601729
Mapcode National: GBR BR.SV86
Mapcode Global: VH84D.33ZQ
Entry Name: Court of Hill
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383566
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483998
Location: Nash, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Nash
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Burford, 1st Portion
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO67SW Court of Hill
Manor house. Medieval origins, rebuild dated 1683 with
alterations early C19 and 1927. Brick with ashlar quoins and
dressings, and cyma-moulded ashlar string course at first
floor and below cornice. Hipped plain-tile roof with deep
concave plastered cornice below deep eaves. 3 large brick
lateral stacks with cluster of spurred shafts and caps, ridge
stack with 3 diagonal shafts to east extension ridge. Original
rectangular double-pile plan with later extension wings to
EXTERIOR: 2-storey and attic. South front is a 2-storey,
7-window range with restored wood mullion and transom windows
with ashlar surrounds. Central glazed panelled door with
ashlar surround, flat gauged ashlar lintel with central carved
console keystone, ashlar tablet with armorial bearings over,
dated 1683. 4 hipped dormers with 2-light casements.
West side: 4-window range, with 3 windows blocked, leaving
single mullion and transom window to left. Similar window to
2-storey extension to left of original west side. Venetian
window with ashlar surround to right at ground floor with left
side covered by later projecting single-storey entrance
extension with flat roof and parapet. Extension with ashlar
entrance door surround flanked by tall multi-pane windows with
Venetian window to left. 2 hipped dormers with 2-light
East side: 4-window range of mullion and transom windows with
that to left now blocked and that to right altered with raised
head. Ground floor to left covered by later projecting
single-storey bay window with crenellated parapet. 2 hipped
dormers with 2-light casements. Stone rubble wing to right of
2-storey, 2-window range of restored 6/6 sashes with flat
lintels, single hipped dormer.
Rear: 2-window range of mullion and transom windows with
gauged brick lintels with brick hoodmould over, covered to
right with 2-storey brick west extension bay, covered at the
centre with small 2-storey brick projection and to left with
2-storey and attic stone rubble wing continued with
single-storey and attic stone rubble wing.
INTERIOR: C17 staircase with open well and heavy balusters
with diagonal boarding covering the tread ends. Restored and
reset C17 panelling and overmantel in former entrance hall.
Early C19 coffered ceiling with naturalistic foliate
The arms over the former south entrance are reputed to be of
the builder of the 1683 work, Andrew Hill, with his arms
impaling those of his wife Anne Powys of Henley near Ludlow.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire:
Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 115).
Listing NGR: SO6014972975
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings