This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3318 / 52°19'54"N
Longitude: -2.6986 / 2°41'54"W
OS Eastings: 352493
OS Northings: 270645
OS Grid: SO524706
Mapcode National: GBR BL.VB9Z
Mapcode Global: VH84B.5NQ8
Plus Code: 9C4V88J2+PH
Entry Name: Brook House
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383624
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484056
Location: Ashford Carbonel, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Ashford Carbonel
Built-Up Area: Ashford Carbonell
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ashford Carbonell
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO5270 Brook House
House. Dated 1677. Painted timber-frame on sandstone rubble
plinth, brick gable-end to rear. Plain-tile roof with serrated
ornamented bargeboards and fascias. Stone projecting eaves
stack (enclosed by Brook Cottage (qv)) with triple brick flues
with nibs. Brick projecting stack at rear gable-end. House of
2 framed bays with gable to street and single-bay extension to
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and cellar. West gable-end front
with one, probably C18, 3-light casement with leaded lights to
first floor, 2-light casement with leaded lights to attic, C20
2-light casement to ground floor, cellar opening of oak frame
with 2 chamfered mullions and ventilation slats. Weathering
boards over windows. Gable wall with square framing 4 panels
high with jowled posts, sill plate, girding beam, studs with
mid rails, 2 straight upper-level tension braces. Gable-end
truss of straight tie beam with central carving: '1677' and
'HL' or 'HE'. 4 vertical struts with mid rails, upper collar
with twin raking struts over.
Outshut to left: tile-roofed lean-to abutting stone stack with
square framing 3 panels deep with leaded-light casement.
South front: 2 bays of square framing similar to the gable-end
front. C18 casement window in each bay to first floor: 3-light
to left and 2-light to right, both with leaded lights.
Ground-floor C20 2-light casement to left, C18 2-light
casement with leaded lights to right, small casement to
extreme right. Boarded door to cellar with chamfered frame,
and framed cellar window opening.
Front range return gable: mostly obscured by rear extension.
C20 entrance door to left reached by flight of stone steps.
Lead flat-roofed canopy with timber boarded and coffered roof
set on thin timber Tuscan-style columns.
Rear extension bay to south wall: square framing 2 panels high
to each storey with full-height posts with rails. One 3-light
casement incorporating 2 leaded lights at both floors with
projecting window stay at first floor.
Rear extension north side wall with square framing as before.
Ground-level 2-light casement and C20 door.
INTERIOR: ground floor with chamfered bridging beams with
ogee-chamfer stops. First floor: chamfered bridging beams. C18
2-panel, 4-panel, and central-clasped boarded doors. Attic:
C17 boarded and ledged door. Single purlin roof with straight
wind braces below purlin.
Coupled rafter roof to rear bay.
Listing NGR: SO5249370645
Other nearby listed buildings