This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3916 / 52°23'29"N
Longitude: -2.6319 / 2°37'54"W
OS Eastings: 357093
OS Northings: 277248
OS Grid: SO570772
Mapcode National: GBR BP.QGRC
Mapcode Global: VH845.B4GY
Entry Name: Bitterley Court
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383649
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484081
Location: Bitterley, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Bitterley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bitterley with Middleton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO57NE Bitterley Court
Manor house. Mid C17 core, remodelled in 1769 by Thomas
Pritchard, early C19 alterations. Rendered walls. Tile and
slate roofs with ashlar-coped gables. Brick eaves and ridge
chimneys with star-shaped multiple shafted stack to north
wing. H-shaped plan.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey, attic and cellar. South front is 7-window
range of 6/3 sashes over 6/6 sashes with cambered heads.
Nearly half are glazed blind windows. Central 3 window bays
advanced under pediment with modillion eaves and roundel set
in tympanum, and with central door and doorcase. Splayed
open-tread stone steps in front of doorcase. Doorcase with
eared architraves set within brackets supporting shallow flat
canopy with carved stone crest over, 6-panelled door with 4
upper panels glazed.
Left return side to west: 3 gables with further projecting
gables to left and right. Flanking gables each with 2-storey,
2-window ranges of 6/6 sashes with blind attic window over,
all with cambered heads. Central gable fenestrated as for
flanking gables but with 3 windows and central doorcase,
converted to a window with glazed panelled infill with
matching side lights, set in moulded frame with plain fascia
and shallow flat projecting canopy with cornice. Garden area
enclosed by wings has 2 small stone wall piers of ball finial
on tapered shaft on plinth with raised panels, one dated 1649.
Right return side to east: 3 gables with projecting gables to
left and right. Flanking gables each with single attic opening
under cambered head, 6/6 sash to left with arched cellar
doorway and C20 window to right which also has C20 garage
doors flanked by buttresses. Central gable partly covered by
extension with high parapet end wall, which has large 6/6 sash
and glazed door with top light. 2-light attic casement to
Rear: right side masked by single-storey slate-roofed brick
lean-to. To centre are three 6/6 sashes over 2 late C17 12/12
sashes with no sills. To left 2 late C17 8/12 sashes over 6/6
sash and plain boarded door with top light. C20 dormer over.
INTERIOR: north wing sashes have ovolo-moulded glazing bars
and flat-block junctions. C17 oak quarter-landing staircase
with closed string and turned balusters. North wing roof of 4
bays: single trenched purlin with raking strut and upper
collar trusses. Central wing: C18 staircase with open string,
turned balusters and curtail step. South wing: cental panelled
hall with 2 marble Tuscan columns, adapted oak panelling. C16
inserted chimneypiece with high-relief figurative carving.
Flanking rooms retain late C18 decoration: moulded cornices
and dado with low-relief ornamental panelling below,
6-panelled doors with raised interior panels and eared
architraves with plain entablature and cornice over, ornate
chimneypieces, window boxed shutters intact. Moulded ceiling
to east room. West room has low-relief panelling above dado.
Listing NGR: SO5709377244
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings