This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.392 / 52°23'31"N
Longitude: -2.632 / 2°37'55"W
OS Eastings: 357087
OS Northings: 277296
OS Grid: SO570772
Mapcode National: GBR BP.QGQ3
Mapcode Global: VH845.B4FM
Entry Name: Cross in Churchyard of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383653
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484085
Location: Bitterley, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Bitterley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bitterley with Middleton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO57NE Cross in churchyard of Church of St
Churchyard cross. C14. Ashlar. Cross shaft with tabernacle
head set on stepped plinth. Plain tapered octagonal shaft with
chamfer terminations set on square plinth with plain chamfered
octagonal top edge, set on 4 simple hexagonal steps. 4 gabled
niches capped with a finial form the tabernacle head, housing
much eroded figurative sculptures. The head sits on raised
ornamented band. The figures are the Crucifixion to the west
and the Nativity to the east.
Reputed to have been erected during the reign of Edward II.
The best surviving churchyard cross in the county.
(An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire:
Cranage D H S: 1895-).
Listing NGR: SO5708877293
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings