This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3922 / 52°23'31"N
Longitude: -2.6321 / 2°37'55"W
OS Eastings: 357081
OS Northings: 277315
OS Grid: SO570773
Mapcode National: GBR BP.QGNY
Mapcode Global: VH845.B4CH
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484084
Location: Bitterley, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Bitterley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bitterley with Middleton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO57NE Church of St Mary
Church. C12 and C13 with C17 alterations, restored 1876 and
1880. Stone rubble and coursed stone rubble with ashlar
dressing. Plain-tile roof with ashlar-coped gable.
PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch, west tower.
EXTERIOR: chancel with C19 pointed arched east window of 4
lights. North wall with 2 lancets, one blocked, flanking
paired cusped-lancet window with trefoil. South wall with
restored pointed arched window of 3 cusped lancets and
labelmould, priest's door with shouldered stone slab lintel
and plain chamfered jambs, single buttress with offsets. Nave:
south wall with 2 restored Decorated-style pointed arched
windows, 3 cusped lancets with labelmould and head-stop to
right, 2 cusped lancets with quatrefoil to left, buttresses
with offsets and gablets. Restored north wall mirrors south
wall, with additional octagonal stone chimney shaft set on one
buttress. Late C19 timber-framed south porch set on stone
plinth with arch-braced truss opening. C19 south door within
restored C13 pointed arched opening with roll and fillet
moulding. Tower: 3 stage tower. Lower 2 stages of coursed
rubble walls with ashlar dressings on ashlar plinth with roll
moulding and short clasping buttresses. Single lancet on each
face at lower stage and C19 paired lancets at middle stage.
Top stage is a late C19 timber-framed belfry with short broach
INTERIOR: chancel roof truss is restored crown-post with swept
braces to principals with carved pierced quatrefoils and
carved straight tie beam. c1924 rood screen in C15 style
supporting rood loft. Loft with original mullions and
traceried panels supporting beam enriched by additional deep
perforated trailing ornament and cresting. Nave: C19 trussed
rafter roof. C17 pulpit. C12 font with shallow round-arched
arcade carving with foliage above. Restored tower arch of 2
orders with original filleted shafts. Abaci mainly restored
but with vestiges of stiff-leaf capital decoration. 3 C15
Monuments in chancel. Wall tablet with effigy of Timothye
Lucye d.1616: kneeling figure set between 2 columns under
corniced canopy with armorial tablet over. 10 Walcot family
tablets, some armorial, of early C18 to C20 and 8 Pardoe
tablets of same dates. 5 Walcot slab memorials from 1685 to
1812 and others including memorial to Anna Lydall d.1680.
Monuments in nave: Pardoe tablet 1768, 3 tablets to Powys of
Henley, 1668, 1671, and 1731 all armorial with embellishments.
Under tower, armorial Powys tablet of 1645.
(An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire:
Cranage D H S: 1895-).
Listing NGR: SO5708177311
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings