This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2813 / 54°16'52"N
Longitude: -2.4434 / 2°26'36"W
OS Eastings: 371230
OS Northings: 487382
OS Grid: SD712873
Mapcode National: GBR CLCY.T1
Mapcode Global: WH94C.FNQ8
Plus Code: 9C6V7HJ4+GM
Entry Name: Hall Bank Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 June 1984
Last Amended: 18 October 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383884
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484316
Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
Civil Parish: Dent
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
162-1/11/84 (North side)
14/06/84 Hall Bank Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
Hallbank and adjoining Barn to
Farmhouse. Probably late C17, enlarged in C18 or early C19.
Random rubble with quoins, stone slate roof. Single-depth
plan, 1+2 units, on east-west axis, facing south and built
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 1:3 windows, with a vertical joint.
The 1-window earlier portion to the left has a square-headed
doorway and a square 2-light casement at ground floor and a
similar window above and to the right. Its left gable has a
tapered external chimney stack and a pair of large corbels for
a the stone cap to an internal smokehood. The 3-window main
range has a square 2-light casement abutting the junction, a
square-headed doorway next to this, a similar window to the
right of the doorway and a 6-pane fixed window further to the
right. The 1st floor has casements like those at ground floor
over the doorway and over each of the windows to the right;
and the 2nd floor has a small 4-pane sash above the first of
these windows. Ridge chimney offset right, another at the
junction to the left, and a gable chimney to the right.
Right-hand front corner covered by full-height link to
adjoining barn (qv). At the rear only the upper half is above
ground level, and has one very small window in the centre and
a small 2-light casement to the west bay.
INTERIOR not inspected, but may contain features of interest.
HISTORICAL NOTE: was used as Dent Workhouse from 1733 to 1852.
Forms group with barn adjoining to south-east (qv) and with
Hall Bank Cottage (qv).
Listing NGR: SD7123087382
Other nearby listed buildings