History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High Hall Farmhouse Including Cartshed

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dent, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.2833 / 54°16'59"N

Longitude: -2.4565 / 2°27'23"W

OS Eastings: 370375

OS Northings: 487610

OS Grid: SD703876

Mapcode National: GBR CL8X.ZB

Mapcode Global: WH94C.7LHQ

Plus Code: 9C6V7GMV+89

Entry Name: High Hall Farmhouse Including Cartshed

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383893

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484325

Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

Civil Parish: Dent

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in



162-1/24/94 (North side)
16/03/54 High Hall Farmhouse including
(Formerly Listed as:
High Hall and cartshed and Barn to
south-west of High Hall)


Farmhouse. C17 in 2 builds (dated 1625 and 1665 on plaque at
1st floor); altered in C19 and part now used as a cart shed.
Slobbered random rubble, stone slate roofs. Irregular T-plan
formed by a single-depth main range of 2 wide units, on an
east-west axis facing south, with one narrow bay added to the
east at an early date, a large rear wing with a lean-to
addition in the west angle and a larger lean-to addition to
the north gable.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 4:1 windows. The 4-window symmetrical
front of the main range was severely remodelled in the C19,
and now has a doorway in the centre protected by a C20 glazed
porch, 4 rectangular 2-light casements on each floor (each
leaf with a horizontal glazing bar), and a re-located plaque
to the left of the 4th window lettered "...ificat Per T/W M
1625 Reaedificicat Per T/R D 1665" (RT=Richard Trotter). At
the left gable is a very large external chimney stack which
has 3 slated offsets, a slate cornice and a stout cylindrical
shaft; and at the junction to the right is another square
chimney with a similar shaft. The added bay at the east end
has a 5-light double-chamfered stone mullion window on each
floor, each with a hoodmould; and a gable chimney. At the rear
the exposed north half of the west side of the wing now has a
wagon doorway at ground floor, a small blocked square window
to the left and a blocked 4-light mullioned window at 1st
floor with a hoodmould; and a damaged stone slate roof with
the base of a corbelled chimney at the gable. The rear of the
main range and extension to the east each have a mullioned
INTERIOR: main range altered at ground floor (otherwise not
inspected); rear wing has remains of a very wide
segmental-arched stone fireplace with chamfered surround, but
now lacks its upper floor.
HISTORICAL NOTE: owned by Richard Trotter, who led the Dent
"statesmen" to purchase the manor of Dent from the crown in

Listing NGR: SD7037587610

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.