This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.2782 / 54°16'41"N
Longitude: -2.4557 / 2°27'20"W
OS Eastings: 370425
OS Northings: 487042
OS Grid: SD704870
Mapcode National: GBR CL9Z.45
Mapcode Global: WH94C.7QWN
Plus Code: 9C6V7GHV+7P
Entry Name: Old School
Listing Date: 14 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383998
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484430
Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
Civil Parish: Dent
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD7087 THE LANING, Dent Town
162-1/24/204 (South side)
14/06/84 Old School
National School, now school hall and public meeting room.
Dated 1845 on porch; altered. Coursed squared sandstone with
freestone quoins and dressings, graduated slate roof.
Rectangular plan on east-west axis facing north, with a
Single storey, 4 windows, symmetrical. In the centre is a
large gabled porch which has a large round-headed doorway with
a chamfered surround, arched hoodmould and double board doors
with strap hinges, a panel containing a plaque inscribed
"NATIONAL / SCHOOL / 1845", with a hoodmould; and gable coping
with kneelers. To each side are 2 tall 2-light mullioned
windows with round-headed lights, and hoodmoulds. Plain gutter
brackets; coped gables with kneelers. Former pair of diagonal
chimneys and cone-shaped ventilator all now missing. Rear: C20
single-storey school building attached.
INTERIOR: one vessel, altered.
Forms group with Old Post Office (qv) diagonally opposite.
Listing NGR: SD7042487044
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings