This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.2785 / 54°16'42"N
Longitude: -2.457 / 2°27'25"W
OS Eastings: 370339
OS Northings: 487076
OS Grid: SD703870
Mapcode National: GBR CL8Z.V1
Mapcode Global: WH94C.7Q7F
Entry Name: Wesleyan Chapel
Listing Date: 14 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383999
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484431
Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
Civil Parish: Dent
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD7087 THE LANING, Dent Town
162-1/24/205 (South side (off))
14/06/84 Wesleyan Chapel
Wesleyan chapel, now United Reformed church. Dated 1834. Thin
watershot coursed rubble with large quoins, all white-washed;
graduated blue slate roof with 2 courses of stone slate at the
eaves. Rectangular single-cell building on east-west axis.
The south front has 2 round-headed 6-pane windows with
Y-tracery in the heads, and in the middle of the wall between
them a datestone lettered "WESLEYAN / 1834 / CHAPEL". The rear
has similar windows. The west gable wall has a tall
round-headed opening containing a square headed doorway with a
slab lintel and a round-headed window immediately above this,
with glazing bars and a stone slate drip-band.
INTERIOR: internal porch; pitch-pine dado and pulpit (benches
removed); moulded plaster cornice; ceiling with moulded
plaster roundel and 4 moulded plaster diamonds from which
globular electric lamps hang on chains.
Forms group with High Laning Farmhouse to the south (qv).
Listing NGR: SD7033987076
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings