History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Powell Hall at Sedbergh School

A Grade II Listed Building in Sedbergh, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3219 / 54°19'18"N

Longitude: -2.5323 / 2°31'56"W

OS Eastings: 365472

OS Northings: 491940

OS Grid: SD654919

Mapcode National: GBR BLRG.KH

Mapcode Global: WH944.2MDN

Entry Name: Powell Hall at Sedbergh School

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384216

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484649

Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Sedbergh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Millthrop

Listing Text


SEDBERGH

SD6591 STATION ROAD, Sedbergh Town
162-1/20/434 (North side)
14/06/84 Powell Hall at Sedbergh School
(Formerly Listed as:
BUSK LANE
Powell Hall at Sedbergh School)

GV II

School assembly hall with combined classrooms. 1904-6, by
Paley & Austin. Snecked sandstone with freestone quoins and
dressings, green slate roof. Hall on north-south axis with
narthex at south end, canted apse at north end, and gabled
classroom wings on west side. Perpendicular style.
EXTERIOR: tall single-storey hall, 2-storey classroom wings.
The gabled south front of the hall, with angle-buttresses and
gable coping with extended kneelers, has a rectangular
single-storey flat-roofed and parapeted narthex with a doorway
to the left and mullioned windows with arched lights, and the
gable above has cruciform fenestration with a tall 4-stage
transomed window flanked by mullioned windows, all the lights
arched. Its 8-bay east side, which has a Tudor-arched doorway
to the 1st bay and a square-headed doorway in the 5th, is
distinguished by 3 wide full-height canted oriel windows
alternating with narrower bays which have 3-light mullioned
clerestory windows, a string course and high parapet carried
over the whole. The north apse has buttresses, one
incorporating a foundation stone dated 1904. All the windows
now have leaded double-glazing in wooden frames. The
classrooms on the west side are in 3 linked gabled wings, that
at the north end projected, all with mullioned and transomed
windows on both floors, and each with a wooden cupola on the
ridge.
INTERIOR: impressive hall with north stage, south gallery,
panelled dado and hammerbeam roof with enclosed coving;
corridors to classrooms on both floors, with staircase at
north end.
Forms group with classroom block to east (qv) and War Memorial
Cloister (qv) to south of that.

Listing NGR: SD6547291940

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.