History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Classroom Block to East of Powell Hall at Sedbergh School

A Grade II Listed Building in Sedbergh, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3218 / 54°19'18"N

Longitude: -2.5315 / 2°31'53"W

OS Eastings: 365523

OS Northings: 491933

OS Grid: SD655919

Mapcode National: GBR BLRG.QJ

Mapcode Global: WH944.2MSP

Entry Name: Classroom Block to East of Powell Hall at Sedbergh School

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384217

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484650

Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Sedbergh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sedbergh

Listing Text


SEDBERGH

SD6591 STATION ROAD, Sedbergh Town
162-1/20/433 (South side)
14/06/84 Classroom block to east of Powell
Hall at Sedbergh School
(Formerly Listed as:
BUSK LANE
Classroom Block immediately to east
of Powell Hall at Sedbergh School)

GV II

School classroom block. 1879-1889, by Austin & Paley; with C20
addition; slightly altered. Snecked sandstone, graduated green
slate roof. Wide irregular H-plan formed by main range on
east-west axis with short crosswing and porch at west end and
longer crosswing at east end. Tudor style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic, now 2:2:2 windows (but formerly
2:3:1); with a chamfered plinth, weathered string course,
parapet with ridged coping. The west wing and integral porch
in its re-entrant angle, have 2 unequal gables, that to the
porch set back behind a parapet run out from the gable coping
of the wing: the porch has a shallow full-height canted bay
containing a depressed arched doorway with moulded surround
and Perpendicular-style carved ornament over the head, flanked
by small arched windows (1 and 2 lights to the left, 2 lights
to the right), and a large triple cross-window at 1st floor;
the gable of the wing to the left has a pair of cross-windows
at ground floor, a transomed 6-light window at 1st floor, a
lancet in the gable and ridged coping with kneelers and an
apex finial. The main range has 2 transomed 6-light windows at
ground floor, two 3-light mullioned windows at 1st floor and 3
gabled dormers behind a parapet. In the re-entrant of the east
wing is a 2-storey flat-roofed addition in matching style. The
gable wall of the east wing has a pair of cross-windows at
ground floor, a carved shield above the string course, a
3-stage transomed 9-light window at 1st floor with a
hoodmould, and gable detailing like the west wing. All the
transomed windows have arched upper lights with hollow
spandrels, but all the windows except those in the addition
now have square-headed aluminium-framed double-glazing.
Octagonal ridge chimney offset right.
East and west side walls in similar style, with gables. Rear
has (inter alia) 3 tall 3-stage transomed 9-light windows at
1st floor rising into gables.
INTERIOR: not inspected. Forms group with War Memorial
Cloister (qv) forming a forecourt to the front, and with
Powell Hall to the west (qv).

Listing NGR: SD6552391933

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.