History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial Cloister at Sedbergh School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sedbergh, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3216 / 54°19'17"N

Longitude: -2.5315 / 2°31'53"W

OS Eastings: 365528

OS Northings: 491912

OS Grid: SD655919

Mapcode National: GBR BLRG.RL

Mapcode Global: WH944.2MTV

Entry Name: War Memorial Cloister at Sedbergh School

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384218

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484651

Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Sedbergh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sedbergh

Listing Text


SEDBERGH

SD6591 STATION ROAD, Sedbergh Town
162-1/20/435 (South side)
14/06/84 War Memorial Cloister at Sedbergh
School
(Formerly Listed as:
BUSK LANE
War Memorial Cloister at Sedbergh
School)

GV II*

War memorial. 1924, by Hubert Worthington; with an addition of
c1945-50. Sandstone ashlar. Built into the slope of the ground
in front and below the Classroom Block (qv), so that the top
forms a detached grassed forecourt to that building, with a
flight of steps descending from its centre to the centre of
the cloister facing south; and a memorial seat added on the
north side of the forecourt a little to the north of the
steps. The cloister has a wide U-plan: a 5-bay arcade flanked
by short but wide 3-bay arcaded wings, all the arches
round-headed.
The main arcade has short square piers with a raised square
panel on the front of each, moulded imposts and moulded heads
to the arches with keystones run up to a continuous frieze,
and a plain parapet. In the spandrels of the outer pair of
arches are carved shields; the frieze is inscribed "THEIR NAME
LIVETH FOR EVERMORE", and a raised panel in the centre of the
parapet is inscribed "DVRA VIRVM NVTRIX". Each wing has a
large central arch flanked by smaller window arches, with a
pair of lion masks in the spandrels, and a raised panel on the
parapet with inscription "MDCCCCXIV" (on the left) and
"MDCCCXVIII" (on the right). The return sides of the parapets
continue northwards to enclose the sides of a grassed garden.
Inside the cloister each bay has a dome-vaulted ceiling, and
the rear wall has a central archway to the steps flanked on
each side by 4 bays of blind arcading. Each blind arch
contains a wreathed panel with painted lists of names, the
inner four (1914-18) totalling 248 names and the outer four
(1939-45) totalling 192. Aligned with the top of the steps to
the forecourt is a hexagonal 2-stage stone bench with
inscriptions on alternate sides of the upper stage recording
the names of 3 former pupils awarded the Victoria Cross in
1941 (2nd Lieut. G.W.Gunn and Major-General J.S.Campbell, both
at Sidi Resegh, and Flg.Off.Kenneth Campbell at Brest).
An exceptionally well conceived war memorial of great dignity,
the descendng steps serving as a metaphor of interment, but
leading to light.
Forms group with classroom block (qv) to north and Powell Hall
to north-west (qv).

Listing NGR: SD6552691910


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 3 February 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.