This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4502 / 53°27'0"N
Longitude: -1.9389 / 1°56'20"W
OS Eastings: 404151
OS Northings: 394830
OS Grid: SK041948
Mapcode National: GBR GXXJ.0X
Mapcode Global: WHB9T.5JYV
Plus Code: 9C5WF326+3C
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 4 December 1958
Last Amended: 22 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384237
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484671
Location: Old Glossop, High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Glossop
Built-Up Area: Glossop
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Glossop All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0494 CHURCH STREET SOUTH, Old Glossop
921-1/11/66 (West side)
04/12/58 Church of All Saints
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET SOUTH, Old Glossop
Parish Church of All Saints)
Parish church. C14, largely rebuilt 1837 by Matthew E Hadfield
and JG Weightman, nave remodelled 1913 by Charles Hadfield and
chancel added 1924 by M Hadfield. Coursed millstone grit and
ashlar with ashlar dressings, coped gables with kneelers and
Welsh slate roofs.
PLAN: west tower with spire, nave with aisles and south porch,
ashlar banded chancel with north chapel and south organ
chamber and vestry.
EXTERIOR: west tower has angle buttresses with set-offs,
square headed west doorway with pointed arch surround and
above 3-light pointed arch window and clock. Belfry has single
2-light bell openings under triangular hoodmoulds to each
face. Octagonal broached spire with 2 sets of gabled lucarnes.
Nave has five 2-light square headed clerestory windows to each
side and aisles each have 5 unusual 2-light square headed
mullion windows with tracery and linked hoodmoulds each with
cross gabled roofs visible behind crenellated parapet. South
porch has nodding ogee arch and pinnacles, the side walls
North chapel has double gable and 2 square headed 2-light
tracery windows. South organ chamber plain with coped parapet
and attached lower vestry with buttresses with weathered
Chancel has 2 higher set square headed 2-light mullion windows
with tracery to each side and canted east wall with tall
flanking buttresses, weathered coping and plinth has deeply
recessed round headed opening with blind tracery panel below
and large circular window with tracery.
INTERIOR: lower courses of tower include reused medieval
masonry. C14 arch re-erected in north chapel. Tower arch with
hollow chamfers. Ringing chamber with open work gallery. 5 bay
nave arcades with double chamfered arches, octagonal piers and
crenellated capitals. Paired clerestory windows in deeply
splayed openings, inner arches supported on central octagonal
Nave has very shallow boarded ceiling with transverse ribs on
shaped wooden cornices, aisles have cross gables boarded with
shallow scissor braces. Deeply moulded chancel arch.
Chancel has 2 full plain arches to chapel, the inner order
dying into responds. Ogee headed glazed openings to vestry,
organ and gallery. Sanctuary with shallow recess beyond
reredos, with heavy moulded arch and traceried stone gallery.
4 bay roof with arched braces. Priests door to north in
projecting surround and trefoil headed piscina and sedilia.
Fittings include choir stalls with traceried front rails.
Elaborate wooden polygonal pulpit with scenes in relief under
traceried canopies on clustered marble shaft.
Some C19 glass reused from the old church. In tower, an
unusual mural monument to members of the Wood family, dated
1874, white stone surround with segmental pedimented pilasters
and seated figures framing the sarcophagus over which stands
an angel bearing laurel crown. Putti heads to base corbels.
(Parish Church of All Saints. Guide.: Glossop: 1989-).
Listing NGR: SK0415194830
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings