This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4458 / 53°26'44"N
Longitude: -1.9291 / 1°55'44"W
OS Eastings: 404808
OS Northings: 394333
OS Grid: SK048943
Mapcode National: GBR GXZL.5J
Mapcode Global: WHB9T.BNM8
Plus Code: 9C5WC3WC+89
Entry Name: Pyegrove and Pyegrove House
Listing Date: 25 February 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384294
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484728
Location: Old Glossop, High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Glossop
Built-Up Area: Glossop
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Glossop All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
921-1/11/27 (North East side)
25/02/76 Nos.5 AND 7
Pyegrove and Pyegrove House
Farmhouse, now 2 houses. 1747 and late C18, with C20
alterations. Narrow coursed millstone grit with ashlar
dressings and stone slate roofs. Brick and stone stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey. Quoins. No.5 L-plan house of single build,
the shorter of the wings contains the parlour with the ridge
stack backing onto the cross passage, now within flush gable
extension. C20 lean-to extension to right.
South front has irregular fenestration with flush gabled cross
wing to right. Central doorway with C20 door in ashlar
surround with lintel inscribed:- 'I M A/ 1747'
Flanked by C20 window to left and 2-light flush mullion window
to right. Above to right single 3-light chamfered mullion
window. Single storey lean-to addition to right with C20 door
and 2-light window under single wooden lintel.
Left return has single window gabled front with 3-light flush
mullion window and above 4-light chamfered mullion window,
central mullion replaced by wooden mullion. C20 wooden
casements to all window openings.
No.7 added late C18, possibly converted from earlier farm
buildings. West front rendered with square headed doorway with
C20 projecting gabled porch to right and 3-light flush mullion
window to left. Above single 3-light flush mullion window to
left and single similar 2-light window to right. Set back to
right lower 2 storey wing with single 2-light flush mullion
windows to each floor, and single storey brick outbuilding to
right. All mullions have been replaced.
Left return has single storey lean-to addition and above small
window to rear.
INTERIOR: No.5 has in ground floor right room stone flag
floors, good ledged door with strap hinges, keeping place
within chimney breast, narrow beams with shallow chamfer
stops, plain fireplace projecting into room with slate mantle
shelf. Stairs have been moved. Dairy to rear with stone
flagged floor, stone slabs and "keeping places" to right.
First floor has massive side purlin roof, no trusses, purlins
rest on side walls. Pegged door surrounds retained.
Documentary evidence records lease of 1785 referring to 1764,
under the name of Haighe. This lease records the existence of
Pyegrove, which was made up of 2 rooms and small buttery to
ground floor, with 3 chambers above and small barn adjacent.
It included outbuildings, one of 5 bays, barn of 2 bays, 2
stall shippon, 4 stall stables, haybarn over shippon, cart
house and turf house.
(Documents in Glossop Library: 1785-).
Listing NGR: SK0480894333
Other nearby listed buildings