History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wigan Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigan Central, Wigan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5482 / 53°32'53"N

Longitude: -2.6363 / 2°38'10"W

OS Eastings: 357937

OS Northings: 405918

OS Grid: SD579059

Mapcode National: GBR BW1D.1S

Mapcode Global: WH97Y.G2VP

Entry Name: Wigan Hall

Listing Date: 11 July 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384501

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484935

Location: Wigan, WN1

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wigan All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Wigan

Listing Text


WIGAN

SD50NE NEW MARKET STREET
24-1/2/51 (North West side)
11/07/83 Wigan Hall

GV II

Rectory. 1875-6, by GE Street, for the Bridgeman family;
slightly reduced. Coursed sandstone rubble at ground floor,
timber-framed with brick nogging at 1st floor and plaster in
gables; red tiled roofs, brick chimneys. Irregular double-pile
plan with appearance of hall-and-crosswing type. Late-medieval
style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, approximately 1:3:1 windows, the 1st bay
presented as a gabled wing; plus a set-back gabled one-window
wing to the right; with a chamfered plinth, angle-buttresses
to the gable on the left, a brattished wooden cornice over the
ground floor, coved jettying to the 1st floor of the left
wing, and steeply-pitched roofs with over-hanging eaves and
barge-boarded gable verges. The main range has at ground floor
a moulded segmental-pointed arch to a recessed porch adjacent
to the wing, a similar but smaller inner doorway with a board
door which has elaborate strap-hinges; to the right of the
entrance a buttress with a roundel above containing the
Bridgeman arms; further right 3 stone cross-windows with blind
trefoils in the heads; and at 1st floor small windows of 1, 1
and 2 lights, and a large transomed 10-light gabled window
breaking the eaves. The left wing has a stone-arcaded window
of 4 small cusped lights at ground floor, a wooden transomed
8-light window at 1st floor, and a jettied gable with
herring-bone bracing. Ridge chimney in line with porch, with
tall clustered polygonal shafts and cornicing. Set-back gable
to right in similar style, and attached to that a 1958 range
replacing the former service wing. The left return, in similar
style, has (inter alia) a large bay window with
segmental-headed transomed window of 8 cusped lights under a
tall tiled pitched roof, and a narrow 5-sided oriel at 1st
floor.
Rear: long range, the left half stepped out, with mullioned
and transomed windows at ground floor; the right-hand half
with 3 medieval-style windows and an extruded chimney stack
with tall clustered polygonal shafts; arch-braced
timber-framing at 1st floor of whole range, including a gable
(to the right end of the left half) with a transomed 6-light
window in this and various other small windows.
INTERIOR: large central reception hall with tiled floor
including arms of Bridgeman family (patrons of the living).


Listing NGR: SD5793705918

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.