History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coops Factory

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigan Central, Wigan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.546 / 53°32'45"N

Longitude: -2.6352 / 2°38'6"W

OS Eastings: 358004

OS Northings: 405671

OS Grid: SD580056

Mapcode National: GBR BW1F.8L

Mapcode Global: WH97Y.H4BD

Entry Name: Coops Factory

Listing Date: 11 July 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384464

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484898

Location: Wigan, WN1

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wigan All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Ince-in-Makerfield

Listing Text


WIGAN

SD50NE DORNING STREET
24-1/2/11 Coops Factory
11/07/83

II

Clothing factory, now warehouse. 1871, by R Todd of Southport,
for Timothy Coop and James Marsden; with large additions of
1888, by Isitt and Verity, and 1892 by W Verity. Yellow and
red brick on rusticated sandstone basement (roof concealed but
probably asphalt). Very large rectangular block on corner
site. Italianate style.
EXTERIOR: 4 and 6 storeys, on a site which slopes down from
right to left: the 1871 portion to the right has 4 storeys
(apparently reduced from 5) and 5 bays; the 1888 portion in
the centre, breaking forwards slightly and itself in 2
portions, has 6 storeys including a basement, and 5:4 bays;
and the 1892 portion to the left, set back slightly, has 4
storeys including the basement, and 4 bays. The 1st build, to
the right, has the windows of the 1st and 2nd floors set in a
giant pilastered arcade of round-headed arches with keystones
(floors above this level probably formerly similar but the
topmost now missing), and the subsequent build to the left
continue this treatment at the same horizontal level (2nd and
3rd floors, because of the slope), while the 1888 build in the
centre repeats the same treatment at 4th and 5th floors. All
parts have yellow brick pilasters and corner pilasters; the
centre has bracketed cornices, and a balustraded parapet to
the 4-bay portion. The basement has square-headed windows;
otherwise, all the windows are segmental-headed except those
in the heads of the arcades which are round-headed. Main
entrance in 4-bay portion of the centre, in a large
round-headed archway moulded in 3 orders, and further
distinguished by a feature-balcony at 1st-floor level. Very
long left return of 1892 portion, 23 bays in style matching
front. Rear and INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORY: established to employ girls redundant as a result of
the Cotton Famine of the 1860s.


Listing NGR: SD5800405671

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.