History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 136 with Attached Wall to the Left

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigan Central, Wigan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5513 / 53°33'4"N

Longitude: -2.6279 / 2°37'40"W

OS Eastings: 358493

OS Northings: 406256

OS Grid: SD584062

Mapcode National: GBR BW2C.VP

Mapcode Global: WH97R.LZTW

Entry Name: Number 136 with Attached Wall to the Left

Listing Date: 11 July 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384521

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484955

Location: Wigan, WN1

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wigan St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Ince-in-Makerfield

Listing Text


WIGAN

SD5806SW STANDISHGATE
24-1/6/71 (West side)
11/07/83 No.136
with attached wall to the left

GV II

Town house with attached screen wall. Large town house, now
integrated with No.138 (qv) as hotel. Imported rainwater head
dated 1755; altered. Handmade red brick in Flemish bond, with
sandstone plinth and dressings, slate roof. Double-depth
double-fronted plan (plus C20 back extension). Georgian.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 3 windows, symmetrical; with a
3-course plinth up to ground-floor sill level, rusticated
quoins and modillioned eaves cornice. Central entrance, up a
flight of 6 nosed steps flanked by curved stone walls, with a
square-headed doorway in a shouldered architrave with
keystone, a later panelled door and an overlight with
geometric panes; 12-pane sashed windows in the centre and
coupled 12-pane sashes in the outer bays, those at 2nd floor
shorter and with square panes, and all in moulded architraves
with keystones and moulded corbels to the sills. Moulded
rainwater head left of centre with raised date "1755" and
monogram. Original front-area railings on stone plinth,
attached to entrance steps. Attached to left gable is a
2-storey screen wall and archway in similar materials, with
panelled pilasters framing a tall elliptical-headed wagon
archway with rusticated surround and keystone, a keyed oculus
above, and a moulded cornice with blocking course.
Rear altered.
INTERIOR not inspected, but noted to contain features of
interest including staircase.
Forms group with No.134 (qv) adjoining to left and No.138 (qv)
adjoining to right.


Listing NGR: SD5849306256

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.