History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wigan Central, Wigan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5503 / 53°33'1"N

Longitude: -2.6276 / 2°37'39"W

OS Eastings: 358513

OS Northings: 406150

OS Grid: SD585061

Mapcode National: GBR BW2D.X1

Mapcode Global: WH97Y.L1Y2

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 24 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384525

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484959

Location: Wigan, WN1

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wigan St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Ince-in-Makerfield

Listing Text


WIGAN

SD50NE STANDISHGATE
24-1/2/75 (East side)
24/10/51 Church of St Mary

II*

Roman Catholic church. 1818; altered. Sandstone ashlar, with
sides and rear of coursed squared sandstone; slate roof.
Gothick style with Perpendicular features to the facade. PLAN:
rectangular plan set back from, and at right-angles to street,
with integral narthex, nave with north and south aisles, short
chancel.
EXTERIOR: a 2-storey 5-bay symmetrical facade, the centre
gabled and the outer bays (ends of aisles) lower; with
pilaster-buttresses modulated to tall diagonal crocketed
pinnacles and an embattled parapet with a bellcote at the apex
of the gable. The wide centre bay has a large 2-centred arched
5-light transomed window with surround chamfered in 3 orders,
ogee-headed lights on both levels, dense geometric
Perpendicular tracery in the head, and a hood-mould. The
flanking bays each have a Tudor-arched doorway with
double-chamfered surround, hollow spandrels and a hood-mould,
and a 2-centred arched 2-light window above. All these windows
have geometrical small-paned stained glass. Lower outer bays
have diagonal buttresses. The 5-bay side walls have tall
2-centred arched 3-light transomed windows with flush transoms
and mullions. The chancel has a 5-light window with eclectic
tracery.
INTERIOR: 5-bay aisle arcades of slender clustered wooden
columns and moulded 2-centred arches; galleries to 3 sides,
with Gothick traceried front panelling; closed trusses to a
shallow-pitched ceiling with moulded ribs and large foliated
bosses; glazed screen below west gallery, with Gothick tracery
and leaded glazing; curved stone staircases to gallery in both
front corners.
(Little B: Catholic Churches since 1623: London: 1966-; Watkin
D: The Buildings of Britain: Regency: London: 1982-).


Listing NGR: SD5851306150

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.