This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5397 / 53°32'22"N
Longitude: -2.6411 / 2°38'27"W
OS Eastings: 357611
OS Northings: 404976
OS Grid: SD576049
Mapcode National: GBR BW0H.0V
Mapcode Global: WH97Y.D9L7
Entry Name: Swan Meadow Works Western Number 2 Mill
Listing Date: 13 July 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384528
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484963
Location: Wigan, WN3
Electoral Ward/Division: Douglas
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Wigan St James with St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD50NE SWAN MEADOW ROAD
24-1/2/79 (West side (off))
13/07/94 Swan Meadow works, Western No.2 Mill
Integrated cotton mill comprising spinning block with
associated boiler house, engine house and chimney, and winding
and beaming rooms (former weaving shed demolished); now mostly
in multiple occupation as business units, and winding and
beaming rooms latterly used as clothing factory. Dated 1888;
by AH Stott & Sons, for Farington Eckersley & Co.Ltd.;
SPINNING BLOCK of common brick in English garden wall bond,
with sandstone dressings (roof concealed but probably
asphalt). Large rectangular plan on east-west axis with
projected turret on north side containing entrance (large C20
addition in left angle of this). 4 storeys, 20:4:1:8 windows;
with panelled corner pilasters terminating in dentilled
cornices, coped parapet, and stepped upstand to turret
inscribed "1888". The single-window entrance turret has a
pedimented doorway (now with reduced opening) and
segmental-headed windows above. The main ranges to left and
right have large segmental-headed 6-pane windows, those at
ground and 3rd floors linked by sillbands.
FORMER BEAMING AND WINDING ROOMS, a rectangular block at
right-angles to the west, formerly detached but now linked at
1st floor, 2-storeyed over a deep basement, now has very
prominently oversailing 1st-floor extensions on the east and
north sides carried on a cast-iron framework.
ENGINE HOUSE, attached at right-angles near the west end of
the rear, rising to 2nd floor level, has a very large
Venetian-style round-headed window in the south gable, and
6 round-headed windows to the upper level of the west side;
and its roof has been completely stripped of its slates.
BOILER HOUSE, attached at right angles to the west side of the
engine house, is single storey with 2 coped gables to the
CHIMNEY, in the outer angle of these 2 elements, has a
battered plinth of blue engineering brick, a tapered octagonal
shaft of common brick with red brick at the angles, and a
moulded stone overail.
All these elements formerly a single functional entity. Forms
part of important group of cotton mills and associated
structures on this site, collectively a very striking feature
close to Wigan Pier.
Listing NGR: SD5761104976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings