History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigan Central, Wigan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5486 / 53°32'55"N

Longitude: -2.628 / 2°37'40"W

OS Eastings: 358484

OS Northings: 405959

OS Grid: SD584059

Mapcode National: GBR BW2D.TN

Mapcode Global: WH97Y.L2RD

Entry Name: Church of St George

Listing Date: 24 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384568

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485003

Location: Wigan, WN1

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wigan St George

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Wigan

Listing Text


WIGAN

SD5805NW WATER STREET
24-1/7/118 Church of St George
24/10/51

II

Church. 1781, damaged by fire 1980, restored 1988. Red brick
in Flemish bond with sandstone dressings and rendered plinth,
slate roof. Rectangular plan with short rectangular apse.
Georgian style.
EXTERIOR: gable to road. 2 storeys and 3 bays, symmetrical,
with a broad centre breaking forwards slightly and finished as
a shaped gable surmounted by a bellcote; with a scored stucco
plinth, sillbands to both floors, triglyph frieze and
modillioned cornice to the outer bays linked by a band across
the centre. The centre has a semi-elliptical headed blank arch
containing an open-pedimented Tuscan doorcase with engaged
columns framing a round-headed doorway with imposts and
keystone, renewed double doors and fanlight with radiating
metal tracery; a round-headed niche at 1st floor; a square
panel in the gable with the cross of St John; and a rebuilt
bellcote which has scrolled supporters and a small
round-headed opening with imposts and keystone. The flanking
bays each have one keyed round-headed window at 1st floor. The
4-bay side walls have similar round-headed windows on both
floors. The apse has a tall round-headed window with moulded
architrave and keystone.
INTERIOR: not inspected. The rector of Wigan reports that it
was entirely gutted by fire, none of the original remaining;
but that the new arrangements are "very interesting".

Listing NGR: SD5848405959

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.