History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wigan Central, Wigan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5493 / 53°32'57"N

Longitude: -2.628 / 2°37'40"W

OS Eastings: 358489

OS Northings: 406039

OS Grid: SD584060

Mapcode National: GBR BW2D.VD

Mapcode Global: WH97Y.L1ST

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 24 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384523

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484957

Location: Wigan, WN1

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wigan St George

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Ince-in-Makerfield

Listing Text


WIGAN

SD5806SW STANDISHGATE
24-1/6/73 (East side)
24/10/51 Church of St John

GV II*

Roman Catholic church. Dated 1819 on frieze of colonnaded
porch; restoration in progress at time of inspection (July
1992).
MATERIALS: sandstone ashlar, hipped slate roof.
STYLE: Classical.
PLAN: rectangular, set back from, and at right-angles to
street.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-bay symmetrical west front with
full-width Ionic colonnaded porch, the frieze inscribed
"ERECTED ANNO DOMINI MDCCCXIX", 1st-floor impost band, cornice
with blocking course and small central upstand.
Large round-headed doorways in the 3 centre bays, all with
stepped voussoirs, panelled double doors and fanlights with
radiating glazing bars; and at 1st floor large round-headed
windows in the 1st, 3rd and 5th bays, that in the centre now
filled with C20 mosaic and the others with renewed arched
joinery.
4-bay side walls, pilastered, with large round-headed windows
in the 1st 3 bays; small vestry with hipped roof attached to
4th bay of north side; louvred cupola with domed roof over 4th
bay of south side.
Rear: large round-headed window in centre, flanked by pairs of
12-pane sashes on 2 levels.
INTERIOR: not accessible at time of inspection, but noted to
have Corinthian pilasters with entablature and prominent
mutuled cornice, internal apse with giant Corinthian
semi-columns and elaborate baldachino, and west gallery on
Corinthian columns. Forms group with Walmesley monument in
front (qv) and with No.93 (St John's Club (qv)) beside
entrance passage.
(Little B: Catholic Churches since 1623: London: 1966-; Watkin
D: The Buildings of Britain: Regency: London: 1982-).


Listing NGR: SD5848906039

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.