History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Market House

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiverton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9036 / 50°54'12"N

Longitude: -3.4864 / 3°29'11"W

OS Eastings: 295578

OS Northings: 112617

OS Grid: SS955126

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.R6LM

Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.7L0

Entry Name: The Market House

Listing Date: 12 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384745

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485203

Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Tiverton

Built-Up Area: Tiverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tiverton

Listing Text


TIVERTON

SS9512 BAMPTON STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/114 (West side)
12/02/52 Nos.18, 20 AND 22
The Market House

GV II

A former market house which was rebuilt after 1731. Now
converted to shops and offices. Flemish bond brick with blue
headers: timber posts to arcade. Natural slate roof with lead
rolls which is hipped at north end of front range. Front range
truncated at south end and part of structure may survive at
No.16 (qv).
PLAN: probably 4 arcaded ranges around an open court. Arcade
posts for front (east) range survive almost complete and some
for the west and north ranges. Central court has been roofed
over.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 7-window asymmetrical front with 6 arcade
bays surviving intact. Tapering cylindrical timber posts have
square section plinths, moulded bases and capitals. Wall
plates supported on square section timbers with scroll stops
above the capitals. First floor has plat band at window sill
level. Deep eaves with a moulded eave cornice. First-floor
windows renewed. 2-light-iron framed casements with square
leaded panes are probably in their original frames except for
right-hand window where the sill has been dropped.
Converted bell turret has deep projecting moulded cornice and
hipped roof with weather vane. Turret has a clock face dated
1731.
INTERIOR: C20 shops incorporate some of the surviving arcade
posts.

Listing NGR: SS9557812617

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.