History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Market Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiverton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9036 / 50°54'13"N

Longitude: -3.4875 / 3°29'15"W

OS Eastings: 295500

OS Northings: 112628

OS Grid: SS955126

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.R69T

Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.74T

Entry Name: The Market Hall

Listing Date: 12 February 1952

Last Amended: 10 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384828

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485287

Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Tiverton

Built-Up Area: Tiverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tiverton

Listing Text


TIVERTON

SS9512 FORE STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/101 (North side)
12/02/52 The Market Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
MARKET
Market Hall, and range of low
booths, west)

GV II

Market hall, still in use as vegetable and flea market.
1830-1831; renovations and alterations of 1876 (Snell).
Architect unknown to date. Timber and cast-iron; natural slate
roof; painted stretcher bond brick infill.
PLAN: long, rectangular 21-bay market hall, originally open on
both long sides with a central, 2-storey square tower with
upper room. The sides of the hall have been infilled, probably
in 1876. The market hall, assigned to butchers, poultry and
gardeners stood adjacent to the cattle market to the north
(now a car park) and one range of covered booths (separately
listed) survives on the west side.
EXTERIOR: single storey with 2-storey tower in centre. The
hall has solid end walls with coped gables with kneelers. A
continuous glazed lantern along the ridge stops against the
tower. The tower is roughcast with a hipped roof with lead
rolls and an octagonal cupola of tapering timber columns
supporting an octagonal louvred bellcote with round-headed
openings and an ogee lead roof with weathervane. The tower has
segmental-headed first floor timber windows. The west side
window is glazed as a tripartite sash of 9 over 6 panes with
fixed flanking lights, the east side window is a 4-light
casement with glazing bars. Clock faces to north and south are
fixed to solid panels which are roofed across to the tower.
The clock faces are dated 1830 and by Tucker of Tiverton.
The long walls of the hall are stretcher bond brick with
continuous glazing above with timber louvres above the
glazing.
The original 1830-31 cast-iron columns are buried in the
walls. They are very slender with engaged shafts and pretty
moulded capitals and bases, similar to the surviving columns
of the detached market booths to the W.
The south end wall is blind with a C20 window. The main
entrance is on the north end which has a segmental-headed
arched doorway with chamfered brick imposts, doorway now
converted to a window. To left of centre a wide moulded
cornice survives with a door flanked by windows below. To
right of centre there is a doorway and one window.
There are additional entrances on the long sides in the
centre, against the tower. These are segmental-headed with
gables treated as pediments with timber moulding; 2-leaf doors
and segmental-headed fanlights with vertical glazing bars. The
tower retains segmental-headed ground-floor windows (now
internal) glazed with small-pane timber casements.
INTERIOR: on either side of the tower the hall has two rows of
axial timber posts. The roof is now concealed by a false
ceiling but the 1972 list description reports "timber roof,
trusses on timber and cast-iron supports".
HISTORY: according to Snell the Tiverton Market Act received
assent on 10 June 1825 although the market was not opened
until 8 June 1830, total cost was »8,392. Before it was built
marketing was carried out in the streets. The buildings were
in a bad sate in 1876 and "practically rebuilt" at a cost of
about »2,000.
(Snell FJ: The Chronicles of Twyford: 1842-: 269-270).

Listing NGR: SS9550012628

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.