History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Church and Attached School

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiverton, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9036 / 50°54'12"N

Longitude: -3.4887 / 3°29'19"W

OS Eastings: 295417

OS Northings: 112620

OS Grid: SS954126

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.R612

Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.6P9

Entry Name: Methodist Church and Attached School

Listing Date: 14 December 1972

Last Amended: 10 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384952

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485411

Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Tiverton

Built-Up Area: Tiverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tiverton

Listing Text


TIVERTON

SS9512 ST PETER STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/310 (East side)
14/12/72 Methodist Church and attached school
(Formerly Listed as:
ST PETER'S STREET
(East side)
Methodist Chapel)

GV II

Methodist church. 1814 (datestone), with later alterations,
including 1904 (Pevsner) portico across front. Stuccoed, the
portico stretcher bond red brick with Bathstone dressings and
columns. Roof concealed behind parapet. Attached 1876
(Pevsner) school is Flemish bond brick with stone dressings.
PLAN: set back from the road behind a small paved area;
rectangular plan with projecting portico along front.
EXTERIOR: 5-bay front with pedimented gable, centre 3 bays
slightly broken forward. The later projecting portico has
steps up to 3 recessed open bays in the centre (glazed in the
late C20) with fluted Ionic columns. The outer bays are brick
with stone pilasters and round-headed windows with stone
architraves, keyblocks and stone aprons, glazed with square
leaded panes. The portico has a stone entablature with
modillion frieze, moulded cornice and balustraded parapet with
ball finials. The earlier section of the chapel has 5
round-headed windows, the centre three with recessed arches,
the centre window with a keyblock. Above the cornice the
centre 3 bays have recessed panels below the pedimented gable,
which has a datestone of 1814. The outer bays have a parapet
that ramps up to the gable.
The right return is stuccoed and blocked out with 2 tiers of
round-headed windows with glazing bars. The school to the rear
is parallel to the street and has a 4-window front with an
open porch to the left with a deep cornice on columns and a
2-leaf door with glazed leaves. Large cornice at first-floor
level, the ground-floor windows with nowy-headed cornices on
triglyph brackets. Windows glazed with 2-pane casements, 3
panes per light. First-floor windows have continuous
nowy-headed cornices with keyblocks and small bull's-eye
windows in the spandrels. Fixed 6-pane glazing.
INTERIOR: not inspected but Pevsner records original galleries
on iron columns on 3 sides and a late C19 organ recess with
two Ionic columns in antis.
HISTORY: the 1972 description records that one of John
Wesley's original congregations met on this site. Pevsner
states that the chapel was originally approached by a narrow
passage.

Listing NGR: SS9541712620

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.