This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0795 / 51°4'46"N
Longitude: -4.0619 / 4°3'42"W
OS Eastings: 255666
OS Northings: 133155
OS Grid: SS556331
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DBTP
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C8.KCF
Entry Name: Queen Annes Court Including Former Ambulance Station Fronting Commercial Road
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385086
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485547
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5533SE CASTLE STREET
684-1/7/82 (South West side)
31/08/88 Nos.3-6 (Consecutive)
Queen Anne's Court, including former
ambulance station fronting
Houses or flats and former warehouses (latterly an ambulance
station), converted to old people's flats in 1984. Range to
Castle Street dated 1897; range to Commercial Road probably
also built in 1897.
Castle Street range is of red brick with stone dressings;
ground storey and whole of rear wall rendered. Commercial Road
range is of squared stone rubble with red brick dressings;
part of ground storey and parapet, and whole of rear wall,
rendered. Slate doors; Castle Street range hipped at left-hand
end. Latter has 3 large, panelled brick chimneys on ridge and
a smaller one to rear, at left-hand end.
Double-depth range to Castle Street with short rear wing on
left; single-depth range to Commercial Road, the 2 ranges
separated by a small courtyard with entrance from a side
street on the south.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys to Castle Street, 2 storeys to Commercial
Road. Front to Castle Street is 7-window range with 4 windows
in return front to left and one window on splayed corner.
Windows segmental-headed with keystones in ground and 2nd
storeys, flat-headed in 3rd storey. All have 4-pane sashes,
nearly all of them C20 replacements; alternate ground-floor
windows to Castle Street are wider with triple sashes, the
upper central sash of the 2 right-hand ones retaining original
patterned glazing. Moulded string courses form pedestal to 2nd
storey, where windows have bracketed cills, some of them
carrying ornamental iron window-box holders. String course
links the keystones, which in this storey have tiny segmental
pediments. Lugged aprons to 3rd-storey windows. Coved eaves
The splayed corner has a slightly different arrangement with
3-light bow window in ground storey having square columns
between and flanking the lights; top cornice surmounted by
balustrade. In upper storeys the windows are set in a slight
projection with triangular pediment above the eaves cornice.
Both fronts have rainwater pipes with decorated heads carrying
the date 1897.
Front to Commercial Road is arranged in 4 bays separated and
flanked by rusticated pilasters, each bay with a wide centre
window (probably a loading bay originally) flanked by 2 small
windows. C20 barred sashes. Moulded band-course at first-floor
level. Moulded top cornice and parapet. Return front to right
has similar 2-bay arrangement, but with only one small window
in each bay; small circular window, now blocked, in gable.
INTERIORS not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: draft Corporation leases of 1897, made out to
2 spirit merchants, refer to 3 bonded stores or warehouses
'newly erected' in Commercial Road. 2 of them were described
as Nos 2 & 3 Commercial Road, probably this property. In the
courtyard is a slate plaque recording the opening of the flats
by Spiral Housing Association on 18 May 1984.
(Barnstaple Castle documents and leases).
Listing NGR: SS5566633155
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings