This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0877 / 51°5'15"N
Longitude: -4.0621 / 4°3'43"W
OS Eastings: 255673
OS Northings: 134060
OS Grid: SS556340
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.CQS1
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C7.Z45
Entry Name: 36, Pilton Street
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385277
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485739
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Pilton with Ashford
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5534 PILTON STREET, Pilton
684-1/2/357 (West side)
House, early C17 with early C18 refurbishment. Formerly a
single dwelling with No.37 (qv) adjoining to the N, but the 2
buildings are said to have been rented and treated separately
until 1711 (Reed, p.149). Owned by the Pilton United
Mass wall construction, front elevation roughcast, rear
elevation partly slate-hung; left end and rear stack with
brick shafts; cast-iron rainwater goods.
L-plan. Front block 2 rooms wide with a cross passage:
principal heated room to left of passage. 2 unheated service
rooms to right, one behind the other, framed stair to rear of
service rooms. Rear left wing gives another large heated room,
presumably the kitchen.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window range with moulded eaves
brackets. Fine C17 ovolo-moulded, stopped door frame to right
of centre: front door with 6 fielded panels. 3 ground-floor
C18 or C19 16-pane sash windows, 3 first-floor 12-pane sash
windows. Rear wing has one ground- and one first-floor 5-light
C17 casement, the mullions chamfered on the inside and
ovolo-moulded on the exterior. C17 door frame to rear of
passage with C17 door with cover strips.
INTERIOR: remarkably complete with a wealth of historic
features. Passage flanked by (painted) oak plank-and-muntin
screens with scroll stops; C17 doorways into all ground-floor
rooms. Ground floor front right has complete single rib
ceiling, enriched with sprays, original stair has turned
balusters and newel posts. First floor has set of C17
ovolo-moulded door-frames into upper rooms. First-floor
right-hand room has a C17 decorated plaster frieze, left-hand
room has an early C18 eared chimneypiece with a triglyph
HISTORICAL NOTE: the earliest documentation for the house,
mentioned by Reed (p70), is in a Trust Deed of 1577 in which
several Pilton charities were merged. It was rented to a
succession of wealthy clothiers. From 1711 to 1845 it was
rented out as one dwelling with No.37 (qv).
(Reed MA: Pilton, its Past and Present: Barnstaple: 1985-:
Listing NGR: SS5567334060
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings