History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Warehouse Known As Old Slaughterhouse South South West of Long Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0763 / 51°4'34"N

Longitude: -4.0613 / 4°3'40"W

OS Eastings: 255697

OS Northings: 132794

OS Grid: SS556327

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DJZ4

Mapcode Global: FRA 26C8.RMF

Entry Name: Warehouse Known As Old Slaughterhouse South South West of Long Bridge

Listing Date: 19 April 1985

Last Amended: 29 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385345

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485807

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Sticklepath with Roundswell

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5532 STATION ROAD
684-1/4/7 Warehouse known as Old
19/04/85 Slaughterhouse SSW of Long Bridge,
Lower Sticklepath
(Formerly Listed as:
BARNSTAPLE JUNCTION
Lower Sticklepath
Warehouse known as The Old
Slaughterhouse immed. SSW of Long
Bridge)

II

Warehouse, once used as slaughterhouse and later converted to
railway use. c1840 to 1846. Built for Sir Bourchier Wrey of
Tawstock House. Coursed stone rubble with rusticated quoins
and architraves to openings. Low pitched dry slate hipped roof
with overhanging eaves. Lead rolls to hips and ridge. Long
rectangular plan.
2 storeys. Widely-spaced 6-window range to NW front. Wide,
almost square, rectangular window openings with rusticated
stone jambs and flat arches with keystone. 3 loading doors at
level between ground and first storeys in plain openings with
segmental dressed stone arches. Similar openings on opposite
SE side. Some of the window openings are blocked and some of
the frames seem to be later insertions. The SW end has wide
full-height doorway with rusticated stone jambs and with eaves
above projecting to form a canopy. This opening is not shown
on the 1846 or 1849 prints. The opposite NE end has ground
storey opening with rusticated stone jambs and probably later
timber lintel with relieving arch. The ground level has been
raised a few feet around the building. Later floors inserted
inside. The roof has queen-post trusses. The NW front is not
depicted on the tithe map of 1840, but is illustrated in
prints of 1846 and 1849.
HISTORY: The warehouse known as The Old Slaughterhouse was
formerly partially tenanted by Longbridge Motors.


Listing NGR: SS5569732794

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.