History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clocktower

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0777 / 51°4'39"N

Longitude: -4.0583 / 4°3'30"W

OS Eastings: 255906

OS Northings: 132951

OS Grid: SS559329

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DCR0

Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.LR5

Entry Name: Clocktower

Listing Date: 31 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385356

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485818

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX32

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5532 THE SQUARE
684-1/4/236 (South side)
31/08/88 Clocktower

GV II

Clocktower, erected in memory of Albert, Prince Consort. 1862,
by RD Gould. Limestone ashlar with dressings of Devon marble,
sandstone, other local stones and patterned tiles.
Tower has an octagonal shaft on a broader octagonal base, the
latter with a chamfered top and buttresses flanking each of
the 4 main faces. Square, corbelled clock chamber with
angle-shafts; clock-dial in each face. Hipped leaded roof with
bracketed corbel-table. At the summit a small belfry with
leaded spire and weather-vane. Each of its 4 faces contains a
pair of openings with pointed arches, separated by a column
with foliated capital; above each pair is a gablet resting
against the base of the spire. Bell remains inside.
The base of the tower has a stair doorway with shaped head on
the S side. On the N side is a water-trough projecting from
the base of a shallow recess with pointed arch of grey and
white marble; arch springs from short columns with pink marble
shafts and foliated white marble capitals. At the back of the
recess is a panel of coloured tiles, having above it a coat of
arms in white marble. Drinking fountain has been removed.
On each of the E and W sides is a pointed arch of moulded red
sandstone with a relieving arch of different coloured local
stones. Within the arches are commemorative marble plaques to
Prince Albert.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the clocktower was built at the instigation
of the then mayor, John Norrington, and paid for by public
subscription, some of the money being raised specifically for
the provision of a drinking fountain. The original design was
for a tower without a clock.
(North Devon Journal: 27.3.1862: 5).


Listing NGR: SS5590632951

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.