This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0764 / 51°4'34"N
Longitude: -4.0572 / 4°3'25"W
OS Eastings: 255981
OS Northings: 132795
OS Grid: SS559327
Mapcode National: GBR KR.DD0H
Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.M67
Entry Name: Five Dolphin Lamp Posts on Embankment Between the Square and Rock Park
Listing Date: 25 March 1977
Last Amended: 29 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385347
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485809
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX32
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5532 TAW VALE
684-1/4/228 (West side)
25/03/77 Five dolphin lamp posts on
embankment between The Square and
(Formerly Listed as:
5 Dolphin lamp standards...parapet
wall adj River Taw betw'n Square &
5 cast-iron lamp standards on stone pedestals. Probably mid
C19. Limestone ashlar pedestals, oblong in section with
moulded caps; red sandstone panels front and back, except
where these have been replaced with electric light fittings.
Iron lamp standards have 2 dolphins intertwined round the stem
of a plant. On the base is moulded COALBROOKDALE. Tops have
been replaced in late C20.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Taw Vale was cut through in 1846.
`Coalbrookdale' was the celebrated Coalbrookdale Company,
founded by Abraham Darby at Ironbridge, Shropshire, in 1708.
This design was made for the Victoria and Albert Embankments
in London 1865-70.
Listing NGR: SS5598132795
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings