This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0764 / 51°4'34"N
Longitude: -4.0561 / 4°3'21"W
OS Eastings: 256062
OS Northings: 132792
OS Grid: SS560327
Mapcode National: GBR KR.DD98
Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.MNH
Entry Name: Riverside
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385213
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485675
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX32
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5632 LITCHDON STREET
684-1/5/197 (South West side)
House, now health authority day centre. Probably c1839, with
minor early additions at either side; late C20 addition at
rear. Rendered, solid walls, probably of stone. Hipped, slated
roof, 2 small rendered chimneys on left side wall. 4-square
with 2 main rooms at the rear, overlooking the garden. 2
smaller rooms, with entrance hall between front and back rooms
on left side; small room opposite on right side.
2 storeys with semi-basement; C20 addition single-storeyed.
3-window range to Litchdon Street, the centre windows in a
slight projection finished above eaves-level, with a
pediment-like gable. Semi-basement rusticated with
segmental-headed window; right window blind, left window
louvred. Upper storeys flanked by giant panelled pilasters.
Windows plain with 6-paned sashes, except for lower sash of
middle first-floor window, which has 9 panes. Round-arched
doorway with Doric portico in centre of ground storey,
approached by flight of 7 stone steps; 3-panelled door,
fanlight with radial glazing bars. Moulded eaves-board.
Low projection to left of front, filling the space between
this house and No.22 (qv) has round-arched doorway with sunk,
oblong panel above. Similar projection to right has blind
round-arched panel with sash window above, the latter having 2
upright glazing bars forming margin-panes.
Garden front (visible from Taw Vale) is without rustication,
but has the same giant pilasters. Segmental-headed window with
small panes to left of semi-basement. Left-hand window in each
of the upper storeys has sashes with 9 panes below and 6
above. All 3 second-storey windows have delicate iron
guard-rails. Remainder altered; canted bay window to right of
ground storey. 2 casement windows to right of 2nd storey.
INTERIOR: in 1986, entrance hall and stair compartment had
modillioned cornices enriched with flowers and egg-and-dart.
Between them an elliptical arch springing from pilasters with
Grecian detail. First-floor landing with similar finishings.
Open-well wooden stair with cast-iron balustrade voluted at
the foot; plain upright bars alternating with decorated
open-work panels. Rooms had moulded cornices (rooms on
ground-floor garden front with dividing wall removed);
enriched cornice and chandelier boss in left-hand 1st-floor
room on garden side.
The house is probably contemporary with the other 2 in this
group, Nos 21 & 22 (qv), both built in 1839. All 3 are shown
on Wood's map of 1843.
(Wood John: Map of Barnstaple (filed with Tithe Map): 1843-).
Listing NGR: SS5606232792
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings