This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0791 / 51°4'44"N
Longitude: -4.0606 / 4°3'38"W
OS Eastings: 255750
OS Northings: 133109
OS Grid: SS557331
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DC3W
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C8.KVY
Entry Name: West View
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385374
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485836
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5533 THE STRAND
684-1/7/249 (North East side)
31/08/88 West View
House and shop. Probably C17 or earlier; possibly enlarged in
C18. Solid, roughcast walls, apparently of stone rubble. Roof
of front range slated; rear ranges pantiled. No chimney
visible from street. Plan consists of 3 single-depth ranges,
interior arrangmement considerably altered.
2 storeys. 1-window range, remodelled late C19 or early C20.
Shop windows in ground storey; canted bay window, off-centre
to right, in upper storey. Right-hand side wall (exposed to
side passage) has early or mid C19 sashes in middle range; an
8-paned sash in ground storey, 2 sashes with 4 full panes and
marginal quarter panes in upper storey.
INTERIOR: has few exposed features in ground storey: a heavy,
plain upper-floor beam in rear room, a fireplace with C19
marble surround and coloured patterned tiles in right-hand
rear corner of middle range. Upper floor and roof structure
HISTORICAL NOTE: old photographs show a chimney on right-hand
gable of front range. Front had 2 ordinary sash windows in
upper storey. Owner says his title deeds, dating back to
Charles II, describe the building as a former Customs House,
although John Wood's map of 1843 shows that a building a
little further south was then used for this purpose.
The modest scale of this building in a part of town much
rebuilt in C18 and C19, and the great thickness of the walls
separating the ranges, suggests that this is a building of C17
or earlier. It is likely to have features of interest
concealed under plaster, and possibly an early roof structure.
(Wood J: Map of Barnstaple: 1843-).
Listing NGR: SS5575033109
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings