This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0882 / 51°5'17"N
Longitude: -4.0638 / 4°3'49"W
OS Eastings: 255560
OS Northings: 134125
OS Grid: SS555341
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.CQBP
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C7.YDY
Plus Code: 9C3Q3WQP+7F
Entry Name: Lake Almshouses
Listing Date: 29 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485843
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Pilton with Ashford
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5534SE UNDER MINNOW ROAD, Pilton
684-1/2/387 (South side)
Row of 4 almshouses. Dated 1863. Red brick with bands of white
stone. Slated roof with crested red ridge tiles. 3 red brick
chimneys in red brick banded with white stone and having
tapered stone caps; one on each end wall, the 3rd in centre of
2 storeys. 4-window range with shared doorway in centre of
each pair. Gothic Revival style. Ground-storey openings have
curved, slightly pointed arches with voussoirs consisting of 2
red bricks alternating with 2 brick-like stones. Plank doors,
that at Nos 1 & 2 with patterned iron surrounds to handle and
keyhole; 3-paned fanlights with chamfered wood glazing bars.
Windows have 3-light wood casements with chamfered wood
mullions; 3 panes per light plus transom light.
Upper storey windows are of 2 pointed-arched lights, the
arches having alternating red brick and white stone voussoirs;
they rise above eaves level to form dormer gables with
projecting shaped barge-boards; lights contain 4-paned sashes.
Both storeys have cill-level bands of white stone and the
upper storey has one at springing-level of the window arches.
In the centre of the front is a stone plaque inscribed 'THESE
ALMSHOUSES WERE REBUILT BY T. WREY HARDING ESQRE. OF UPCOTT.
A.D. 1863.' End walls have no openings except for an inserted
ground-storey window at right-hand end. Bargeboards matching
those on the dormer gables. INTERIOR not inspected.
The almshouses are an early example of the polychrome Gothic
Listing NGR: SS5556034125
Other nearby listed buildings