This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4411 / 51°26'27"N
Longitude: -0.0858 / 0°5'8"W
OS Eastings: 533133
OS Northings: 173080
OS Grid: TQ331730
Mapcode National: GBR HL.T7F
Mapcode Global: VHGRD.G1HL
Entry Name: The Old Library, Dulwich College
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385421
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470818
Location: Southwark, London, SE21
Electoral Ward/Division: Village
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Dulwich St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3373 COLLEGE ROAD
636-1/15/232 (South side)
21/01/94 The Old Library, Dulwich College
Memorial library, now meeting room and classrooms. 1902-3 and
1910. By Edwin T Hall as a memorial to those formerly of
Dulwich College (Old Alleynians) killed in the South African
War. Lower addition to rear of 1910 by E Stanley Hall in
tribute to Canon James Carver, first head of the school on its
refoundation. Lower rectangular block to rear with narrow link
the gift of the banker Henry Yates Thompson.
MATERIALS: red brick with Portland stone dressings and
copings, slate roofs save for copper dome over rotunda at
southern end of rectangular double-height main library.
EXTERIOR: the library is a 5-bay composition with Ionic
columns standing proud over attached buttressing plinths and
supporting a heavy cornice, volute brackets and scalloped
parapet. These curves are contrasted with round-arched
mullioned windows each with a heavy transom along the line of
the thick cornice of the 5-bay rotunda projecting to the
Stone dado carrying through prominent buttresses with volute
stops and deep stone base emphasise the continuity of the
composition through the two elements of the building. The
glazing has been replaced but retains the historic leading.
Entrance in 4th bay from north of main range, with double
doors under segmental pediment rising behind to a shallow
dome. Iron bootscraper a part of the original work.
Stacks at either end of the main ridge disguised behind
aediculed and pedimented niches. Timber cupola in centre and
over copper dome. Figure of Justice over buttress of rotunda
by HC Fehr, presumably in commemoration of the British
victory. Memorial at northern end to the nine Old Alleynians
killed in 1899-1902.
The Carver Room has stone pedimented ends with triglyph frieze
over Roman Doric columns flanking tripartite windows.
INTERIOR: the library retains its barrel vault, oak panelling
and chimneypieces with massive volute brackets and modillion
mouldings under projecting flues topped with the school crest.
The interior of Carver Room is square, with a box cornice and
shallow saucer dome over fitted cupboards and panelling.
(Piggot JR: Dulwich College).
Listing NGR: TQ3313373080
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings