This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4901 / 51°29'24"N
Longitude: -0.0882 / 0°5'17"W
OS Eastings: 532828
OS Northings: 178533
OS Grid: TQ328785
Mapcode National: GBR SM.BZ
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.FT70
Entry Name: English Martyrs School (Part)
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385526
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470925
Location: Southwark, London, SE17
Electoral Ward/Division: East Walworth
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Walworth St John
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3278 FLINT STREET
636-1/8/342 (West side)
English Martyrs School (part)
Formerly known as: Flint Street School Board School FLINT
School. 1875. By ER Robson; extended to rear 1904-5. For
London School Board. Stock brick with red brick and terracotta
detail; slate roof.
PLAN: the earliest part of the building has an L-plan and
comprises the main block facing Flint Street and a 2nd block
at right angles to it facing Deans Buildings.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. First floor of Flint Street elevation has
a ten-window range. The top floor is lit by tall
segmental-headed windows that are flanked by brick pilasters
and triangular pediments; these are, on the long sides of the
2 blocks, set under pointed gables which rise through the
parapets of both elevation to the level of the ridge of the
The top storey, central window in the short gabled end of the
2nd block, which forms part of the main front to Flint Street,
is of the same shape but has smaller segmental-arched sash
windows to either side. On the main block flat-arched sash
windows alternate with pairs of segmental-arched windows to
oriels which are triangular in plan; the gable end of the 2nd
block has 3 segmental-arched sash windows. All the glazing of
these windows is of an authentic design save for that of the
ground-floor which has been altered.
Dean Street elevation: irregularly spaced fenestration, most
of which with glazing of an authentic design. The dominant
feature here is an elaborate aedicule framing a stone plaque
with a relief depicting 'Truth' showing a book of learning to
a pair of children, and a datestone reading 1875 below it. The
school is lavishly decorated with cut brick work, including 4
panels with swags of fruit and 3 vases of flowers; this
detailing has an Artisan Mannerist quality. The tiers of halls
built to the rear in 1904-5 add to the architectural interest
of the complex.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The design of the original building is surprisingly bold and
decorative for a board school of this date.
Listing NGR: TQ3281778587
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings