This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4907 / 51°29'26"N
Longitude: -0.0885 / 0°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 532804
OS Northings: 178588
OS Grid: TQ328785
Mapcode National: GBR SM.8T
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.FS2M
Plus Code: 9C3XFWR6+7J
Entry Name: English Martyrs Primary School
Listing Date: 27 September 1972
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385527
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470926
Location: Southwark, London, SE17
Electoral Ward/Division: East Walworth
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Walworth St John
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3278 FLINT STREET
636-1/8/341 (West side)
27/09/72 English Martyrs' Primary School
(Formerly Listed as:
English Martyrs Roman Catholic
School. 1904-5. By Leonard Stokes. Yellow brick with random
blue headers, red brick window dressings; slate roof
(replaced) with small fleche.
EXTERIOR: south elevation of 3 storeys, 5 main windows, with
gable over each outer pair; extension of 2 storeys, 1 window
to right. Entrance in west elevation to Flint Street which is
of 3 main bays beneath a broad gable with wider bipartite
windows to central bay, that on 2nd floor with semicircular
radially glazed head. South elevation has gauged, red brick
arches to multi-pane sash windows with glazing bars and
overlights. Flat arches to ground-floor windows, segmental
arches to upper floor windows. Wall blank to left side; extra
windows on 1st and ground floors to right. Flat buttresses
merging into walls at 2nd-floor level outside and between all
5 main window bays.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Faces Church of the English Martyrs, Rodney Road (qv) across
former Northampton Place, now a playground.
Listing NGR: TQ3281778587
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings