This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4433 / 51°26'35"N
Longitude: -0.0895 / 0°5'22"W
OS Eastings: 532875
OS Northings: 173320
OS Grid: TQ328733
Mapcode National: GBR HL.S42
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.DZKG
Entry Name: Belair
Listing Date: 27 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385540
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470943
Location: Southwark, London, SE21
Electoral Ward/Division: Village
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Dulwich St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3273 GALLERY ROAD
636-1/15/356 (West side)
Villa, now in recreational use. 1785, much rebuilt in 1964 by
Southwark Borough Council. Cement rendered with low pitched,
hipped slate roof behind parapet.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement, 3 bays. Frieze, dentil
cornice and parapet. Slightly projecting, pedimented central
bay with 2 pairs of giant pilasters with paterae in capitals;
similar pilasters to outer angles of front elevation. Broad
round-arched doorway has double doors with cornice head,
radial fanlight and side lights. Wrought-iron lamp holder
over. Plain reveals to replaced flat-arched sash windows with
glazing bars, that to centre of 1st floor bipartite.
Rear elevation has full-height 3-bay bow to centre, the
projecting basement with rusticated pilaster strips forming a
terrace to main floor with screen of 4 Ionic columns and
cast-iron railings supporting balustraded balcony to 1st
INTERIOR: believed to have original circular staircase with
cast-iron patterned balustrade and 1 original fireplace. 3-bay
returns have 1-storey bows to centre.
Villa now used for recreational facilities and changing rooms
in association with public park which once formed the grounds
to the villa.
Listing NGR: TQ3287273144
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings