This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4971 / 51°29'49"N
Longitude: -0.1054 / 0°6'19"W
OS Eastings: 531611
OS Northings: 179278
OS Grid: TQ316792
Mapcode National: GBR NK.HH
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.4M4N
Plus Code: 9C3XFVWV+VR
Entry Name: Numbers 13-35 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 16 June 1989
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385549
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470952
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark St George the Martyr with St Alphage and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3179 GLADSTONE STREET
636-1/4/365 (South side)
16/06/89 Nos.13-35 (Odd)
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Terrace of 12 houses. 1849-1852. By Garland and Christopher
architects. Yellow stock brick with stucco banded rustication
to ground floor and stucco dressings, slate roofs, some with
dormers behind stucco parapet with cornice; stucco dressings.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys (except No.31 which is 3 storeys), attic
and basement, mostly 2 bays. Nos 13 & 29 are double fronted
with a rusticated stucco pilaster to right and left end
respectively, rising up to cornice. Steps up to panelled doors
with original fittings and oblong overlights, set in Classical
doorcases with pilasters to plain entablature and cornice.
Ground-floor sash windows with margin lights have keystones
touching cornice; 1st floor sash windows with glazing bars
have square-headed stucco architraves. Splayed return to No.31
has vermiculated keystone set into elliptical-arched
carriageway with double doors.
INTERIOR: not inspected but likely to be of interest.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wrought-iron area railings and some
window boxes. No.31 has decorative iron guards to 1st- and
Listing NGR: TQ3161179278
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings