This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.502 / 51°30'7"N
Longitude: -0.1019 / 0°6'6"W
OS Eastings: 531842
OS Northings: 179823
OS Grid: TQ318798
Mapcode National: GBR PH.8R
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.5HZY
Plus Code: 9C3XGV2X+Q6
Entry Name: The Drapers Almshouses
Listing Date: 2 March 1950
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385550
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470953
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark St George the Martyr with St Alphage and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3179 GLASSHILL STREET
636-1/4/366 (South West side)
02/03/50 Nos.1-5 (Consecutive)
The Drapers' Almshouses
(Formerly Listed as:
The Drapers' Almshouses)
Terrace of 5 almshouses, 1820. Multicoloured stock brick with
coped parapet, higher at ends.
2 storeys, 13 bays with centre 3-bay and end 2-bay sections
projecting slightly. Flat, bracketed canopies to 6-panel
doors, some glazed. Flat, gauged-brick arches to casement
windows with Gothic glazing bars; end sections have sash
windows with glazing bars in round-arched recesses with
stuccoed tympanum above cornice head at 1st floor. Stucco
bands between floors and above 2nd floor.
Stone tablet over centre reads: THE DRAPERS ALMSHOUSES/
REBUILT A.D.1820./ WILLIAM GIBBS,/ WILLIAM PUGH, CHURCH
WARDENS,/ JOSEPH KESTERTON, OF THIS PARISH.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: TQ3184279823
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings