History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Blackfriars Settlement and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwark, Southwark

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5025 / 51°30'8"N

Longitude: -0.103 / 0°6'10"W

OS Eastings: 531760

OS Northings: 179874

OS Grid: TQ317798

Mapcode National: GBR PH.0L

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.5HCK

Plus Code: 9C3XGV2W+XQ

Entry Name: The Blackfriars Settlement and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 27 September 1972

Last Amended: 17 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385713

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471119

Location: Southwark, London, SE1

County: Southwark

Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals

Built-Up Area: Southwark

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Southwark Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


636-1/4/527 (South side)
27/09/72 Nos.44-47 (Consecutive)
The Blackfriars Settlement and
attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.44-47 (Consecutive)
The Blackfriars Settlement)


Terrace of 4 houses. c1807-1810. Possibly by SP Cockerell.
Stock brick with parapet, Nos 45 & 47 with banded, rusticated
stuccoed ground floors.
Nos 44-46: 5 storeys and sunken basement, 3 bays each. No.47:
4 storeys and sunken basement, 3 bays. Doors to Nos 45 & 47
round-arched with fluted, Doric columns, cornice heads, fluted
pilaster jambs and fanlights. Doors to former Nos 44 & 46 now
altered to windows.
Tightly spaced fenestration: flat, gauged-brick arches to sash
windows with glazing bars except on ground-floor of Nos 45 &
47 where the arches are segmental with struck voussoirs in
stucco. The 2 left-hand windows to No.47 are in slightly
projecting, full-height bow section. Wrought-iron balcony on
iron brackets along 1st floor of all 4 houses.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: original spearhead railings with urn
The last few surviving houses of the square of c1807-1810.

Listing NGR: TQ3176079874

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.