History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chadwick House and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwark, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5017 / 51°30'6"N

Longitude: -0.1021 / 0°6'7"W

OS Eastings: 531825

OS Northings: 179795

OS Grid: TQ318797

Mapcode National: GBR PH.6V

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.5JV4

Entry Name: Chadwick House and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 29 December 1980

Last Amended: 17 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385850

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471269

Location: Southwark, London, SE1

County: London

District: Southwark

Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals

Built-Up Area: Southwark

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Southwark St George the Martyr with St Alphage and St Jude

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
London

Listing Text


SOUTHWARK

TQ3179 RUSHWORTH STREET
636-1/4/667 (North East side)
29/12/80 No.48
Chadwick House and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
RUSHWORTH STREET
(North East side)
Convent of the Reparation)

II

Convent and chapel, now offices. 1912. By Sir Walter Tapper.
Stock brick with red brick dressings; Welsh slate roofs, swept
mansard with dormers to Rushworth Street elevation.
Residential part in Queen Anne style on small scale,
delicately detailed.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and basement, 5 bays. 3 stone steps
with rails to door terrace; 6-panel door in timber doorcase
with panelled sides and soffit, half-domed hood on brackets
and tripartite fanlight. Gauged, red brick arches to sash
windows with thick glazing bars. Deep moulded and dentilled
eaves cornice; 1st-floor red brick band. One end and one rear
chimney. Dated rainwater heads.
Chapel elevation to Kings Bench Street in restrained Baroque
style. Projecting pedimented centre holds crowned cartouche
above tall blank opening with red brick round arch, key block
and impost band. Narrow side bays whose scrolled tops meet the
pediment. Plinth with datestone. 4 high round windows on each
return.
INTERIOR: chapel panelled up to immediately below splayed
round windows at clerestory level which have round and radial
bars. Gallery at west end above 3-bay timber arcade. Timber
barrelled roof.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast-iron area railings.
Simple design, well detailed and executed.


Listing NGR: TQ3182579795

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.