This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4866 / 51°29'11"N
Longitude: -0.0926 / 0°5'33"W
OS Eastings: 532531
OS Northings: 178127
OS Grid: TQ325781
Mapcode National: GBR RP.C8
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.BWXR
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 2 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471066
Location: Southwark, London, SE17
Electoral Ward/Division: Faraday
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Walworth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3278 LIVERPOOL GROVE
636-1/8/485 (North West side)
02/03/50 Church of St Peter
Church. 1823-1825. Sir John Soane, interior restored after war
damage by Thomas Ford, 1953-55.
MATERIALS: yellow stock brick with stone details.
PLAN: rectangular plan with tower of 2 stages over west end; 1
main storey and undercroft.
EXTERIOR: steps to west end with recessed centre porch of 4
giant stone Ionic columns supporting stone entablature which
continues around church, with key pattern on architrave. 3
entrances within porch with stone architraves and entablature,
stone band and panel above.
Tall round-headed window in round-arched recess either side of
porch. 7 similar windows to north and south sides, with stone
transoms indicating presence of gallery inside, a shorter
window at each end under key patterned architrave. Stone
panels beneath windows; stone plinth.
East end has recessed centre section with plain stone parapet
over cornice; 3 windows to 1st floor, arcaded open loggia at
ground floor with balustrading in bays flanking centre.
Projecting side sections of 1 bay each with tall windows and
entablature similar to west end.
Tower of 2 Corinthian orders rests on balustraded parapet with
Soanean finials above porch. Lower stage square with
round-arched louvred bell opening and clock flanked by corner
pilasters supporting entablature. Upper stage round with
Composite columns supporting a small dome.
INTERIOR: 5-bay nave and 2 aisles, sanctuary to east of nave.
Ground floor east extensions of aisles as vestry and Lady
Chapel, but at 1st-floor level galleries run right to east
end. North and south balustraded galleries rest on Doric
columns and have arcades at 1st floor to roof. Unusual,
shallow curve to aisle roofs forming gallery floor and resting
on tensely curved beams. Open west gallery on Doric columns
Roof supported on shallow segmental arches the whole width of
nave, 1 at west end, 2 at east. Flat ceiling with rosettes in
panels. Original reredos with Corinthian columns and
pilasters, key and scroll pattern frieze, low, triangular
pediment in centre and angels' heads above. From porch, 2
curved staircases to gallery in square wells with round
Undercroft: 5 groin-vaulted aisles, having circular openings
from outer aisles and round-arched openings to centre aisle.
Rere-arches to west are vertical double segments and blank
arches to east are oval-headed.
FITTINGS: cast-iron balustrades, and screens of 2 Ionic
columns at top landing. Some post-war stained glass to east
end, other windows clear with leaded lights.
A Commissioners' church, built after a private Act of
Parliament and close in design to Soane's later Holy Trinity,
Listing NGR: TQ3253178127
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings