This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4996 / 51°29'58"N
Longitude: -0.0871 / 0°5'13"W
OS Eastings: 532877
OS Northings: 179589
OS Grid: TQ328795
Mapcode National: GBR SJ.LL
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.FKTR
Plus Code: 9C3XFWX7+V5
Entry Name: Number 142 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 6 December 1949
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385666
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471070
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Chaucer
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark St George the Martyr with St Alphage and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3279 LONG LANE
636-1/5/489 (South side)
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
2 houses, restored as one office block. c1732, with C20
MATERIALS: stock brick with red brick dressings and moulded
cornice beneath rebuilt brick parapet.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and sunk basement, 3 bays each. 8-panel
door to left (former No.148) in timber doorcase with fluted,
Corinthian pilasters supporting entablature with dentil
cornice and broken scroll pediment.
Former No.146 had a later C19 shop front, now replaced with 3
ground-floor windows, and bow-windowed extension to rear.
Gauged, red brick segmental arches and red brick dressings to
sash windows with glazing bars in flush boxed frames. Red
brick strings at 1st and 2nd floors.
INTERIOR: former No.148 (left section) has good fairly
complete interior with finely detailed panelling in several
rooms, staircase with irontwist balusters and moulded
brackets, and carved marble chimney piece (probably later C18)
with scenes of the leather trade in front ground-floor room.
Most of interior to right hand house now replaced.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron area railings.
Former No.146 listed 27.09.72.
Listing NGR: TQ3287779589
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings