This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4909 / 51°29'27"N
Longitude: -0.0977 / 0°5'51"W
OS Eastings: 532161
OS Northings: 178598
OS Grid: TQ321785
Mapcode National: GBR QM.6Q
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.8S5G
Entry Name: 140, 142, 150, 152, Walworth Road
Listing Date: 31 January 1974
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471447
Location: Southwark, London, SE17
Electoral Ward/Division: Newington
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Newington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3278 WALWORTH ROAD
636-1/8/837 (West side)
31/01/74 Nos.140, 142, 150 & 152
(Formerly Listed as:
7 houses. 1793-1799, altered 1978. By Francis Hurlblatt,
architect/surveyor. Yellow stock brick and stucco dressings
with slate mansard with dormers. Pediment to left section
(No.152) added 1978.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attic and raised basement. No.140-142
(former centre to terrace): 3 bays each under pediment with
mutule cornice and medallion with relief figure in tympanum.
Wide flight of steps up to C20 portico with altered, wide C20
doorway; round-headed ground-floor windows in round-arched
recesses with stucco band at spring. Ground- and 1st-floor
sash windows, 2nd-floor casements.
No.150 (former Nos 144-148): 2 bays to each former house, 3
openings each to ground floor; mutule cornice with brick
parapet above. Round-headed door with cornice head and radial
fanlight to centre (other doors now altered to windows).
Gauged brick arches to sash windows with glazing bars, those
to ground floor with round arches, those on upper floors with
flat arches. Stucco strings to ground-floor springs, and
1st-floor sill band.
No.152 (former Nos 150-152): similar to No.150 but with 3 bays
to each former house and late C20 addition of pediment. Door
is in outer bay, that to former No.150 now replaced by window.
Basement level to Nos 150 & 152 rebuilt projecting to form
balcony for ground floor (which is raised above street level).
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Part of a terrace built by Francis Hurlblatt in 1793-9; now
remodelled as unified composition for Labour Party
Listing NGR: TQ3216178598
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings