This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5053 / 51°30'19"N
Longitude: -0.0336 / 0°2'0"W
OS Eastings: 536573
OS Northings: 180317
OS Grid: TQ365803
Mapcode National: GBR K4.VLL
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.CFMD
Plus Code: 9C3XGX48+4H
Entry Name: Canada Wharf and Columbia Wharf, Including Former Engine House and Boiler to South
Listing Date: 1 July 1983
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471252
Location: Surrey Docks, Southwark, London, SE16
Electoral Ward/Division: Surrey Docks
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Rotherhithe Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
Tagged with: Architectural structure
TQ3680SE ROTHERHITHE STREET
636-1/21/658 (East side)
01/07/83 Canada Wharf and Columbia Wharf,
including former engine house and
boiler to S
(Formerly Listed as:
Canada Wharf and Columbia Wharf)
Complex of granary warehouses. 1864 and 1870-71. By James
Edmeston. Southern block (now called Columbia Wharf), with
engine house and boiler to south, 1864. To north, Canada
Wharf, 1870-71. Canada Wharf being converted into flats with
totally rebuilt interior at time of survey.
MATERIALS: yellow stock brick with polychrome dressings, part
of Columbia Wharf now rendered, coped parapets; slate roof to
engine house and part of Canada Wharf, new roof extension to
EXTERIOR: Columbia Wharf: 4 storeys, 12 bays to street
articulated by giant pilasters merging into parapet. Openings
to altered, rendered ground-floor segmental-headed, those to
1st floor with segmental pointed heads, those to 2nd floor
flat-headed, with gauged red brick arches. 3rd floor has
lozenge-shaped windows with polychrome dressings. Similar
details to right return of 9 bays, and river front of 5
storeys, 18 bays with hatch ranks now adapted as doors/canted
To south-east is former engine house and boiler room of 2
storeys: coupled windows with pointed and segmental pointed
arches to river; north return built out with a 2 bay porch
with a pair of ground-floor openings with pointed arches,
stone keys and imposts. Hipped slate roof.
Canada Wharf: 5-storey river block slightly Moorish in style,
articulated by giant buttresses running almost full height of
building and linked by heavy, red brick string courses.
Segmental, pointed and flat-headed windows distinguish
different floor levels, lozenge-shaped openings with
polychrome dressings to upper floors of side elevations.
Plainer 4-storey buildings running inland with dormer ranges
in slate roof and openings with segmental, gauged-brick
arches. Altered street elevation with hatch rank to upper
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The entire group was formerly known as Canada Wharf. Complex
included gabled range of presumed erecting shops in front of
Columbia Wharf to street, now demolished except for facades.
Canada Wharf noted as being the first building in the country
to have silos resting on an iron flooring with ventilation
shafts and a vacant space beneath (these no longer exist).
Columbia Wharf was divided into 4 compartments, each
containing 56 perforated iron boxes fitted to ventilation
Listing NGR: TQ3657380317
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings