This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5014 / 51°30'5"N
Longitude: -0.0539 / 0°3'14"W
OS Eastings: 535172
OS Northings: 179848
OS Grid: TQ351798
Mapcode National: GBR JB.32V
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.0JVC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Rotherhithe
Listing Date: 6 December 1949
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385867
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471286
Location: Southwark, London, SE16
Electoral Ward/Division: Rotherhithe
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Rotherhithe St Mary with All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3579 ST MARYCHURCH STREET
636-1/6/729 (North side)
06/12/49 Church of St Mary Rotherhithe
(Formerly Listed as:
ST MARY CHURCH STREET
Church of St Mary)
Church. 1714 rebuild of medieval church, tower inscribed 1747,
spire rebuilt 1861, interior restored 1876. Tower by L
Dowbiggin, interior by William Butterfield.
MATERIALS: yellow brick with red brick and white stone
dressings; heavy dentil cornice with brick parapet above to
main building, stone quoins to church and tower.
PLAN: rectangular plan with projecting west tower, centre bay
at east end projecting as sanctuary, later 1-storey extension
to north east for vestry and hall extension to north.
EXTERIOR: main body of church 2 storeys, 5 bays with doors at
either end of south side (right one now blocked up) with
segmental-headed stone architrave, angel-head keystone and
cornice on scrolled console brackets. Short, segmental-headed
ground-floor windows with stone architraves and keystones and
rubbed, red brick surrounds. Similar treatment to tall
1st-floor windows with round arches.
Tower of 3 storeys, 1 bay to each face, has door in south side
with stone Gibbs surround and cornice over. Ground and 1st
floor of tower treated like main church, frieze and cornice
above 1st floor. Tall 2nd floor with, on each face, a clock
below and above a round-arched, louvred bell opening with
bracketed and eared stone architrave with keystone.
Balustraded parapet, circular Corinthian lantern stage above;
obelisk spire. Similarly treated, large round-arched windows
to east end, the wider central bay projecting and with
INTERIOR: a coved nave of 3 unequal bays with 2 giant Ionic
columns each side to aisles with flat ceilings. Segmental arch
to sanctuary, with C18 panelling and reredos with fluted
Corinthian columns, later C19 painted panels by Florence T
Nicholson. Panelled west gallery with triglyph motifs on
slender wrought-iron columns with curled wrought-iron
FITTINGS: organ in original case with Doric entablature and
rococo ornament, by John Byfield, 1764.
MEMORIALS: monuments include: Captain Anthony Wood, 1625 with
relief of 3-masted ship; and rococo cartouche monument to
Joseph Wade, King's Carver, 1743.
Listing NGR: TQ3517279848
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings