History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

70, St Marychurch Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Rotherhithe, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.501 / 51°30'3"N

Longitude: -0.0541 / 0°3'14"W

OS Eastings: 535164

OS Northings: 179798

OS Grid: TQ351797

Mapcode National: GBR JB.31X

Mapcode Global: VHGR1.0JSQ

Entry Name: 70, St Marychurch Street

Listing Date: 6 December 1949

Last Amended: 17 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385864

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471283

Location: Southwark, London, SE16

County: London

District: Southwark

Electoral Ward/Division: Rotherhithe

Built-Up Area: Southwark

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Rotherhithe St Mary with All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Bermondsey

Listing Text


SOUTHWARK

TQ3579 ST MARYCHURCH STREET
636-1/6/727 (South side)
06/12/49 No.70
(Formerly Listed as:
ST MARY CHURCH STREET
(South side)
No.70
Peter Hill's School)

GV II

House, later a school, now an office. c1700. Red brick with
stone dressings, parapet with stone coping.
3 storeys and 3 bays. Front with stone quoins and plinth has
6-panel door with decorative fanlight to right, set into
timber doorcase with panelled reveals, sunk panelled pilaster
jambs supporting entablature with cornice, projecting
door-hood long since removed. 1st-floor centre window has
stone plaque beneath flanked by scroll corbels supporting
figures of boy and girl in period costume of c1700.
Ground-floor windows have brick aprons, others brick panels
below. Flat, gauged-brick arches to ground- and 1st-floor
windows; cambered, gauged-brick arches with keystones to
2nd-floor windows. All are sash windows with glazing bars in
flush frames. Blank, brown brick return to right. Rear
elevation rebuilt.
INTERIOR: retains original panelling and staircase with
barleysugar balusters and carved brackets.
The plaque indicates that the free school founded in 1613 and
instituted in 1742 moved here in 1797.

Listing NGR: TQ3516479798

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.