This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5034 / 51°30'12"N
Longitude: -0.0737 / 0°4'25"W
OS Eastings: 533794
OS Northings: 180027
OS Grid: TQ337800
Mapcode National: GBR WH.L8
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.NGXW
Plus Code: 9C3XGW3G+8G
Entry Name: The Cardamon Building
Listing Date: 20 January 1982
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385908
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471327
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bermondsey St Mary Magdalen, St Olave, St John and St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3380 SHAD THAMES
636-1/2/692 (South side)
20/01/82 The Cardamon Building
(Formerly Listed as:
'H' 'I' 'J' 'K' and 'VI' Warehouse
range, Butler's Wharf)
Warehouse range. 1884-86 and 1891-92, being converted for
retail and residential use at time of survey. Stock brick with
white brick dressings and Portland stone coped parapets to
Shad Thames front elevation of 19 bays and returns to Curlew
Street (5 bays, one blind) and Lafone Street (3 bays).
5 and 6 storeys, 4 storeys to Curlew Street return. The 4 bay
section to right on corner with Lafone Street has ground and
mezzanine floors occupied by office/shop fronts framed by
cast-iron pilasters with lotus leaf capitals and with
cast-iron mullions to broad window frames; girder entablature
returned to Lafone Street with similar pilaster details.
The rest of the range has a pedimented door and 3 hatch ranks
with bull-nosed reveals to front elevation, and pale brick
segmental arches to windows. Similar windows to returns.
A feature of the front elevation is the steel gangway bridges
(now replaced in replica) at 2nd- and 5th-floor levels linking
the building with the Butler's Wharf riverside range (qv) on
the north side of the street.
INTERIOR: in 4-bay section to right a brick vaulted basement
carries the double-height ground floor with encased circular
cast-iron columns supporting a timber floor. Similar cast-iron
and timber construction to upper floors.
Main internal construction: brick jack vaults supporting
ground floor; cast-iron columns supporting similar vaults and
concrete screed to 1st floor; upper floors with cast-iron
cruciform columns supporting timber floors.
This landward warehouse range has a crucial relationship with
the Butler's Wharf riverside block, forming the longest group
of surviving bridged warehouses in the Docklands.
Listing NGR: TQ3379480027
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings