This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5026 / 51°30'9"N
Longitude: -0.098 / 0°5'52"W
OS Eastings: 532111
OS Northings: 179898
OS Grid: TQ321798
Mapcode National: GBR QH.4J
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.8H1G
Entry Name: Winchester House and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 27 September 1972
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385917
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471337
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark St George the Martyr with St Alphage and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3279 SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD
636-1/5/701 (West side)
27/09/72 No.94 (PART)
Winchester House and attached
(Formerly Listed as:
SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD
Part of St Saviour's Workhouse, now part of Southwark Fire
Station and Fire Brigade Training Centre. 1777. By George
Gwilt the elder. Eastern wing (facing main road) aggrandized
and converted into 2 houses, early C19. Practice tower added
to rear c1880 by Alfred Mott (in connection with its later use
as a fire training centre).
MATERIALS: main elevation: brown brick with stucco details and
cornice with brick parapet, hipped slate roof with red tile
PLAN: rectangular plan (with rear wing).
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement, 11 bays. Central 3 bays
articulated by 4 giant stucco Ionic pilasters supporting
entablature and balustraded parapet above. Outer bays flanked
by sunk panelled pilasters supporting entablature and
balustraded parapets. Pair of modified Doric porches at 2nd
bay from each end. Tall ground-floor windows with stucco
architraves and cornices, that in right end bay with console
bracketed pediment. C20 1-storey projection at left end bay.
1st and 2nd floors have sash windows with glazing bars,
gauged, flat brick arches and stucco sills, those to central 3
bays with console bracketed cornices. Return elevation much
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: metal railings and brick piers of late
C19 enclosing forecourt.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the workhouse became a hat factory and
residence in the early C19, and in 1878, when the Metropolitan
Fire Brigade moved their headquarters here under Captain Shaw,
a training school. The building forms an important group with
the Gothic-style fire station built to its left in 1878 (qv).
A Gothic extension of 1883 by Robert Pearsall, which hid the
former workhouse building from the main road, was demolished
after the war.
Listing NGR: TQ3211179898
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings