History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Irwell Riverside, Salford

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4843 / 53°29'3"N

Longitude: -2.2591 / 2°15'32"W

OS Eastings: 382901

OS Northings: 398652

OS Grid: SJ829986

Mapcode National: GBR DFF.JZ

Mapcode Global: WHB9G.8PG7

Entry Name: Town Hall

Listing Date: 31 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386076

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471500

Location: Salford, M3

County: Salford

Electoral Ward/Division: Irwell Riverside

Built-Up Area: Salford

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Salford St Philip with St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text


SALFORD

SJ8298NE BEXLEY SQUARE
949-1/19/3 (North side)
31/01/52 Town Hall

GV II

Town hall. 1825-7. Richard Lane. Ashlar-faced, rusticated to
ground floor, and low pitched roof not visible.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5-window range. Neo-classical style, with
full-height central pedimented section of 3 bays slightly
advanced. Central engaged fluted Doric shafts, and outer
square pilasters supporting entablature with laurel wreath
frieze. Similar pilasters at angles. Central entrance doors
with overlight. 2-pane sash window in each bay, the outer
ground-floor windows with entablatures carried on console
brackets.
Brick return elevations with tripartite sash windows in main
block, then long range divided 4-3-3-9 bays, of varying
heights, but all with stone dressings to sash windows. Central
entrance hall with staircases to sides, then central corridor
running the length of the building. Floor and dado tiling by
Craven Dunnill.
Adjoining the original block to the west, an additional range
of administrative buildings of c1900 runs parallel to the
original range, to which it is linked by a single-storey
entrance wing. Brick with stone dressings, and overhanging
moulded eaves cornice to Welsh slate roof. 5 bays divided by
brick pilasters to courtyard, and pedimented doorway with
"Water Office" inscribed in the entablature. 7 bays beyond,
with 4 advanced gables with alternately segmental and
triangular pediments each with modillion cornice, rusticated
brick piers marking angles, and enriched stone architraves to
windows. Single-storey cross-wing links to original building,
with segmental pediment over doorway. Long return elevation to
Ford Street divided as a series of bays by brick pilasters:
sash windows with stone architraves, and heavy
segmentally-arched doorway in advanced gable with steep open
pediment. Symmetrical rear elevation has outer gables with
open pediments in front of shallow drum towers linked by
part-glazed mansard roof.


Listing NGR: SJ8290198652

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.