This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4836 / 53°29'0"N
Longitude: -2.2577 / 2°15'27"W
OS Eastings: 382996
OS Northings: 398567
OS Grid: SJ829985
Mapcode National: GBR DFG.V7
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.9P4T
Plus Code: 9C5VFPMR+CW
Entry Name: Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 18 January 1980
Last Amended: 20 October 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386118
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471542
Location: Irwell Riverside, Salford, M3
Electoral Ward/Division: Irwell Riverside
Built-Up Area: Salford
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Salford St Philip with St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ8298NE CHAPEL STREET
949-1/19/44 (North side)
18/01/80 Independent Chapel
(Formerly Listed as:
Rex Bingo (Former Salford Cinema))
Cinema, now Independent chapel. Dated 1915. Faience and
roughcast render with late C20 brick wall to right-hand side.
Half-hipped roof in Welsh slate. Plan comprises a rectangular
auditorium behind a recessed entrance and lobby on left-hand
corner. Externally in a Baroque style.
The front elevation is expressed as 2 storeys. Central bay has
broad rusticated pilasters at either side of 2 elaborately
moulded circular windows, and flanked by a similar type of
oval window in either side, all set in panels of roughcast.
Above the central bay a segmental-arched pediment containing
the moulded words 'Salford Cinema AD 1915' over a moulded
segmental panel. Ground floor has doorways to centre and
right-hand side with paired rectangular windows between, and
main entrance set in the radiused left-hand corner behind a
porch with 4 Ionic columns beneath a curved cornice on
consoles. Above this a swagged frieze, elaborate balustrade
and open cupola on 6 columns with decorated capitals.
INTERIOR: much altered. The building is a significant example
of early cinema architecture.
Listing NGR: SJ8299698567
Other nearby listed buildings